Wet suit thickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did my first cold water dive yesterday. 64 F above the thermocline, then it dropped down to 32. I was wearing an 8mm Pinnacle Polar M8, 5 mm gloves and 5 mm boots. Only issue was the boots were a little big on me, so I'll fix that by getting some neoprene socks. Didn't even notice the temp change until I was looking at my computer while passing through 17 feet...then it changed.

"Which wetsuit, etc." may be the most asked question on SB. I've always said there's no way to know until you find out your cold tolerance. Perhaps renting here and there in a wide range of water temps. is the surest way. Then make a list of water --and Air + water-- temps. for each thickness suit (or drysuit) appropriate for you. Or, if you have the $, buy several suits and then experiment to make the list. What I or anyone else would suggest based on my/our experience is probably useless for you.

"Which wetsuit, etc." may be the most asked question on SB. I've always said there's no way to know until you find out your cold tolerance. Perhaps renting here and there in a wide range of water temps. is the surest way. Then make a list of water --and Air + water-- temps. for each thickness suit (or drysuit) appropriate for you. Or, if you have the $, buy several suits and then experiment to make the list. What I or anyone else would suggest based on my/our experience is probably useless for you.
Agreed - too many variables involved in the equation.

Simple things like how well fitting the suit is or how tight the wrists and ankles are can hugely affect how warm a suit feels. Then there is suit design (does it have a fleece lining which minimises flushing), design of the wrists and ankles (my 7mm suit has a section which goes under the glove/boot and zipper section which goes over and hugely minimises the flushing) etc.

Surface intervals have a huge effect on how warm a suit feels as well - get cold during an SI and the dive will just get worse. Use a warm, windproof jacket (and trousers if needed) and things are a lot better

Out of 30 dives, I only have one in cold water, but I want to do more. I talked to a dive shop owner today and he was saying that I should strongly consider a 5mm Thermoprene because he feels that it would be as warm as a cheaper 7mm and that I would find the flexibility of the 5mm to be more comfortable. I will be diving in New England.

Naturally, you don't know anything about my cold tolerance, and I'm not sure of it myself, though the only other cold water dive that I did was in 60 degree water and I was wearing a farmer john and a top, both 5mm, and I felt comfortable.

Any opinions?
You need to consider that when you dive in cold water often, you will build up a slight tolerance to the cold, and your mind won’t be as squeamish as you enter water.

Also it’s not the dive that can make you cold cold, it’s the wind on the boat back. So always bring a waterproof wind cheater for the way back

Last edited:
The other thing to think of when you are doing cold water diving is how many dives are you doing. Lots of people may be fine with a single cold water dive in whatever suit they are wearing, but when you add another dive or cooler weather all that plays a part. So what I would do is try a few rental suits and see how you do.

You can also get great deals on "last years" model when it comes to wetsuits. My buddy originally bought an old year model Scubapro OneFlex for $125 and the factory price tag on it was in the $270 range.
I won't read the rest of the posts, because this says it all.
Will just add that it's not a good idea to take ANYONE'S advice on what's best for what water temp. since everyone's cold tolerance is different. And, your cold tolerance will change after a few years if you move to a hotter or colder climate.

5mm or 7mm is fine in 60 degree water. I would use a 7mm though. I use that here in San Diego and never get cold, the water even dropped to 50 degrees two weekends ago! I'm have a slim build with a good amount of muscle/tone so no extra fat to keep me warm. I don't get too warm unless the water is over 65 to 68 degrees, but it rarely is deeper than 15-20 feet.

I say forget about the flexibility. You're scuba diving not surfing. What do you need the flexibility for?

My take on cold water tolerance is that the climate where you live is a much bigger factor than how often you dive in cold water. After 25 years living in Northern Manitoba (3 winter months of -30C), we moved to Nova Scotia and I found diving in 55F water in my 7 mil absolutely toasty--even on the second dive (I had never dived before moving here). Gradually over the 13 years here--getting colder & colder. Age you say? Then why did I absolutely HATE swimming in "cold" New York (July) water growing up and until age 23, when I left for the North?
Then there are the drysuit locals of North Florida (and even S. FL in some cases)............can't blame them, it's all about climate and years therein.

I have gotten less cold tolerant, at least when swimming, as I have aged. As a teenager I swam in Maine ocean water, happily shivering and turning blue. Even in my early thirties I would swim in low-sixties Cape Cod ocean water. Now, no way (I'm in my mid 60's). On the other hand, up until a couple of years ago I would go fly fishing in mid-40's trout streams wearing 5 mil neoprene waders with sweatpants underneath. I'd stay in until I was shivering too much to cast my line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom