Wet Suit vs Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter

Renaissance Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My original thought was to get a 7 mil blown neoprene semi-dry custom wetsuit from a place called M & B Wetsuit Designs in Long Beach. He's been making wetsuits since the early '60s. He mostly makes suits for commercial divers these days. The cost of a farmer john suit there would be about $550 with a back spine, kevlar knee pads, a flat pocket on one thigh and a bellows pocket on the other.

But now I'm considering a Dry Suit. I'm just returning to diving after a long hiatus, but remember that for years I was always comfortable in a 1/4 inch farmer john in the winter time. I never felt cold and in fact would occasionally have to unzip the suit because I felt a bit too hot. Yes, I'm the guy you see walking around in shorts at a ski resort.

I see myself moving toward tech diving in the future. I see myself mostly wreck diving locally, but also plan to take the occasional trip for cave diving. Of course, I won't do any of this without proper training.

That said, what would be the reasons for me to get a dry suit instead of a semi-dry wet suit as described above? Are there valid reasons for me to get a semi dry wet suit instead?

I've read many posts that say that I would be better off buying a used dry suit than a new wet suit. Although they didn't specify a semi-dry suit, I imagine that overall, they are still in the same category as any other wet suit. I'm not sure how much a similarly equipped dry suit would cost used.

It would be a no brainer if a similarly equipped new dry suit were close to the same price, but it looks like a new dry suit would cost me about $2000. That's a huge difference and I'm trying to figure out why.

Also, just like clothing, I would imagine that different manufacturer's dry suits fit differently. How do you know which one is the better fit? Since it's a functional item, there must be a set of practical guidelines that one should adhere to.

Sorry about the long post, but I wanted to paint a picture that would be helpful. I look forward to some guidance.

Christian

headhunter:
My original thought was to get a 7 mil blown neoprene semi-dry custom wetsuit from a place called M & B Wetsuit Designs in Long Beach. He's been making wetsuits since the early '60s. He mostly makes suits for commercial divers these days. The cost of a farmer john suit there would be about $550 with a back spine, kevlar knee pads, a flat pocket on one thigh and a bellows pocket on the other.

But now I'm considering a Dry Suit. I'm just returning to diving after a long hiatus, but remember that for years I was always comfortable in a 1/4 inch farmer john in the winter time. I never felt cold and in fact would occasionally have to unzip the suit because I felt a bit too hot. Yes, I'm the guy you see walking around in shorts at a ski resort.

I see myself moving toward tech diving in the future. I see myself mostly wreck diving locally, but also plan to take the occasional trip for cave diving. Of course, I won't do any of this without proper training.

That said, what would be the reasons for me to get a dry suit instead of a semi-dry wet suit as described above? Are there valid reasons for me to get a semi dry wet suit instead?

I've read many posts that say that I would be better off buying a used dry suit than a new wet suit. Although they didn't specify a semi-dry suit, I imagine that overall, they are still in the same category as any other wet suit. I'm not sure how much a similarly equipped dry suit would cost used.

It would be a no brainer if a similarly equipped new dry suit were close to the same price, but it looks like a new dry suit would cost me about $2000. That's a huge difference and I'm trying to figure out why.

Also, just like clothing, I would imagine that different manufacturer's dry suits fit differently. How do you know which one is the better fit? Since it's a functional item, there must be a set of practical guidelines that one should adhere to.

Sorry about the long post, but I wanted to paint a picture that would be helpful. I look forward to some guidance.

Christian

What kind of water temps do you experience in your area? In New England the peak summer surface temp is about 65 degrees, at depth (100' +) it is in the 50's and you will eventually cool off. If you begin deco diving and remain at depth for much longer doing nothing but hovering you will definitely cool off with these temps. You can buy an O'Neill 7mm drysuit with thermals for under a $1000 if you shop around. I have used mine for about 5 years and really like it.

--Matt

Headhunter - it's really quite simple - if you go deep, you get cold in a wetsuit. Not so much in a drysuit. Remember - your 7mm wetsuit is now about a 2mm suit at 100 feet.

Did you say you were interested in DIR? If that's the case, I strongly recommend you wait until AFTER your DIR-F class before buying a suit - your instructor will spend some time going over features that are worth having, proper fit, stuff to watch out for... and more importantly (for me anyway,) they back it all up with logical reasons why. It's worth taking the class for that alone.

Hi Christian,

I switched to dry last year for tec, and that is for Mexico. It only takes a couple of dives to get the hang of it, and there is a BIG difference in comfort level. I find that after a days cave diving, I used to shiver all night long from a depressed core temperature. Now I am pink and fluffy and very happy with my suit.

I got a dive rite trilam, the thermal value depends on the underwear, so you can wear cotton sweats under it in the summer, and go for thinsulate or fleece when it cools down.

I figure that the only reason that anyone would not wear a drysuit, is they dont have one.

:wink:

Some thoughts from a guy who weht through a lot of this not too long ago. I'll preface this by saying there is no scientific method to my conclusions - simply the observations and conclusions of my own experience... and that's more important, as I can speak directly to that, in this case.

Drysuits:

So Cal diving. You know, we're diving here year round (from 1 - 120 FSW) in waters 'tween 65 - 50. Surely drysuit weather for some. If you're DrBill, you wear a shortie from May through November... but he's a fish.

I was never uncomfortable in a 7mm one-piece with a hood. Heck, you saw me at the Scuba Show - I was the only one from our group in Shorts and a sleeveless tee.... I'm pretty hot blooded. Where I noticed the biggest change in going to a DS was in the Surface Interval on multi-dive boat trips (which represents most of my diving.) The wind kicks up between sites, and I'm in my fuzzy undies... not the clammy wetsuit shivering. And its easier to get motivated to do that night dive, putting on the fuzzies rather than the clammys.

They're much easier and faster to don. Also a plus for me.

If I was doing the bulk of my diving from the shore, I'd move back to a Wetsuit. As the schlep in full gear makes me a sweaty freddy in the summer, and in a DS I stay ripe. In a wetsuit it's all sea water. Plus, as gross as it is to me, if I had to seek relief while on some ill-equiped shore location (read: no privy) I could in a wetsuit. I haven't installed a valve in the DS... A DS is a hassle for beach diving.

As far as training and control, I just sort of got it. It all made sense, and even in my pool session, using a DS was just a no brainer. Got to the Dive Park, played for a dive, realized I could control the thing, and its been smooov ever since. Never gone all feet up, or had an uncontrolled ascent, or a major leak, or anything unusual in almost 170 dives with the thing over the last year+.

If you're considering any sort of tech - where you would have a deco obligation, a hard or soft ceiling, or will be going deeper or colder, I highly recommend a DS. We can spin all day as to which DS, materials, constructions, manufacturers, valve placement, accessories, etc (all the fun stuff I love about shopping for new gear) but the bottom line is this: You need to define your objectives, then set your focus.

For me, it was all about extending the diving season with my wife. She got cold in So Cal from Nov - April... so I found we weren't diving. I couldn't see just her diving dry, so I got us a couple of suits. Did the training, got comfy, etc. We've dove the last two winters as often as we did in the summer.

I do no tech diving. No deco. No penetration, no doubles, etc, etc. I'm a single tank OW recreational diver. And I love my DS. Love it.

If your objectives lead you to the conclusion a DS would be better (warmer for longer durations, more comfortable for shorter durations) I highly recommend considering one.

K

Thanks guys. This is great input, so far.

sndt1319 -

Looks like a great deal and I've bookmarked it for the future. It looks like by their nature they offer pretty good prices all the time and even better right now. I need to learn more about the proper fit, construction materials, etc. before I can make a decision on "which" DS would be right for me.

Matt -

What kind of water temps do you experience in your area?

Temps can range from high 40s to mid 60s. I understand from one of the guys at my LDS that surface temps where actually 74 degrees a few days ago. That's pretty warm, but I imagine that it was more "normal" below the thermocline.

Boogie -

Did you say you were interested in DIR?

Yes. I mentioned it in another thread in the DIR forum. It sounds like it closely resembles my original training in the '70s and '80s. I will probably hold off on the purchase of a dry suit until after taking the DIR-F class. I believe it's wise to wait until I have good reasons that guide the purchase of such a spendy item, especially since even a low budget DS is still spendy. Logical reasons will help me to get what I need not what sounds cool at the time I'm talking to a salesperson.

Mark -

That's helpful because I was wondering about the use of a dry suit in warmer waters, like Mexico. Gracias por el consejo.

Mo2vation -

Heck, you saw me at the Scuba Show - I was the only one from our group in Shorts and a sleeveless tee....

I was wearing shorts, but I don't have your "drummer's arms" to show off in the sleeveless tee! :wink:

Ken, I feel your pain about the surface interval. That would be one of the only times I got chilled in a wet suit. The evaporation will do it to me.

Your post is really useful in helping me process the information that I'm discovering, "through the eyes of a So Cal Diver".

You mention that you prefer a wet suit for beach diving. I really like beach diving and also get pretty overheated when wearing a wet suit (during the day) to get the gear to the water. Sometimes the access is by climbing down a cliff via a steep trail. The only way for me to cool off in the wet suit was to get in the water and unzip the suit. I'd do that before starting my dive. It seems that you could unzip a dry suit once you get to the waters edge and "cool off" in the air before you start your dive. Am I missing something?

If 50 percent of my dives will be beach dives, some of which may take me to a deep submarine canyon, do you think it would be better to have both a wet suit and a dry suit?

Does anybody out there regularly dive in both a wet suit and a dry suit? ...And, if so, do they really only dive the wet suit because they already had it before purchasing a dry suit?

Christian

headhunter:
Matt -
Temps can range from high 40s to mid 60s. I understand from one of the guys at my LDS that surface temps where actually 74 degrees a few days ago. That's pretty warm, but I imagine that it was more "normal" below the thermocline.

Those are close to our NE temps. I would definitely go with a dry suit.

Good luck.

--Matt

Where I noticed the biggest change in going to a DS was in the Surface Interval on multi-dive boat trips (which represents most of my diving.) The wind kicks up between sites, and I'm in my fuzzy undies... .

Yup, my thoughts exactly, I also dive So Cal year round. Drysuits are a tad warmer underwater, but the real benefit is between dives, and then putting on a cold wetsuit to get in the water...oooofa!!!!

Does anybody out there regularly dive in both a wet suit and a dry suit? ...And, if so, do they really only dive the wet suit because they already had it before purchasing a dry suit?

I do. I dive wet off the beach, and dry off of boats.

Why? hmmm, last nite, at 54 degrees in Redondo Canyon, I was asking myself that very question!!!! Reasons:

1. I enjoy wetsuit diving, especially in kelp. You can feel the kelp on your body and anticipate hangups. it's also kinda, shall I say it? sensual, moving through the surge as the kelp caresses your bod- er ahem.... anyway, the drysuit is like a condom, won't feel the kelp until it snags you.

2. Less weight. With my steel tank and backplate I wear 12 or so pounds with a drysuit....... 6-7 with a westuit. Easier to lug around.

3. Easier cleanup - moist of my beach diving is at nite. When I get home at ten all I wanna do is throw the westuit in teh rinse tank, I'll get it manana.......

4. I can handle most any So Cal temp for 40 minutes to an hour, especially after or before a long surface swim or hike up or down a cliff/stairs to my car.

5. Better buoyancy. I've got the drysuit dialed in, but I still think my buoyancy is better in a wetsuit.

As to your last question, I suppose that when this Body Glove wears out, I won't rush out to buy another one. However, I tend to find that drysuits will spend a fair amount of time "at the shop", new seals, leaks etc. So it's nice to be able to dive even if you don't have the drysuit.

Chris

ChrisM:
3. Easier cleanup - moist of my beach diving is at nite. When I get home at ten all I wanna do is throw the westuit in teh rinse tank, I'll get it manana.......

As to your last question, I suppose that when this Body Glove wears out, I won't rush out to buy another one. However, I tend to find that drysuits will spend a fair amount of time "at the shop", new seals, leaks etc. So it's nice to be able to dive even if you don't have the drysuit.

Chris
So... it sounds like a dry suit is more "maintenance intensive" than a wet suit. Is that true or am I misinterpreting that?

I do see how having a wet suit as a back up might be nice, but not altogether nessessary.

Just out of curiosity, when your wet suit wears out and you get around to replacing it, would you replace it with a really nice one or would you just get a cheap "beater" (for lack of a better term) for your purposes?

I appreciate the confirmation of Mo2vation's thoughts and added insight.

Christian

Back
Top Bottom