Wetnotes, what should I look for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFeenD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for wetnotes to purchase. However, I really have no idea what I should be looking for to ensure I get a quality setup. Any suggestions? Perhaps brands or features I should look out for that are of consistent quality

Thanks!
-ddd

The Dive Rite ones are a PITA--the cover floats off, the pages rip off from the spiral. I threw mine out! Haven't tried the OxyCheq ones. I have been using (for years) a wetnotes-type pad I like a lot. It's called Anura Amphibious Scuba Notebook. What I like about it:
1. It's sturdy--the pages are a little thicker than the wet-notes one but still thin; the spiral keeps the pages together but doesn't tear them
2. It doesn't flop around--the cover spirals back just like the pages, so you don't have it open like a book--it's more like a reporter's note pad
3. The pencil uses those stacked-up kinds of pastic-encased lead thingies so if it breaks, all you have to do is pull the broken-lead holder out and stick it in the top of the pencil to push the new lead thingy into place.

It's a notebook, not a reg. I could care less if the cover comes off if I didn't spend a lot of money on it. I'm not writing a novel under the water. This is the one piece of gear where I buy the cheapest I can find. Piranah Dive Mfg has them for $8.49, Slates & Wetnotes Piranha Dive Manufacturing.

It's a notebook, not a reg. I could care less if the cover comes off if I didn't spend a lot of money on it. I'm not writing a novel under the water. This is the one piece of gear where I buy the cheapest I can find. Piranah Dive Mfg has them for $8.49, Slates & Wetnotes Piranha Dive Manufacturing.

You might care if you have to chase the floated-off cover all over the ocean to keep from leaving your trash behind! And you might find what's written just as important as a novel if it's your deco schedule....

I tried one like the one you linked to.... that solid lead pencil thing broke right off at the top attachment point. It's true that the Anura is about 2x as expensive as those cheap models; on the other hand, I went through more than two cheapos before I found the Anura, which I've used ever since, so I think it has been very economical in the long run.

You might care if you have to chase the floated-off cover all over the ocean to keep from leaving your trash behind! And you might find what's written just as important as a novel if it's your deco schedule....

I tried one like the one you linked to.... that solid lead pencil thing broke right off at the top attachment point. It's true that the Anura is about 2x as expensive as those cheap models; on the other hand, I went through more than two cheapos before I found the Anura, which I've used ever since, so I think it has been very economical in the long run.

I would agree the losing a page with a deco schedule could be a pretty big deal, but I've never lost pages. Just the cover.

halcyon are the best IMO.

the clear pocket on the back is invaluable for deco tables. and it has a pocket on the inside for odds and ends like extra zip ties, a survey compass etc.
when i was in the market, none of the others had that clear pocket on the back. that may have change now, I dunno.

I dont care what piece of gear I have, I want it to be the best I can get. If there are wetnotes that are far superior to others than I dont mind spending the money. I just dont want to throw my money away. Reg, BC, Wetnotes, everything has its place and is important.

Halcyon's Wetnotes are of top-notch quality but a bit pricy. You have thousands invested by now already so why stop now. :D

halcyon are the best IMO.

the clear pocket on the back is invaluable for deco tables. and it has a pocket on the inside for odds and ends like extra zip ties, a survey compass etc.
when i was in the market, none of the others had that clear pocket on the back. that may have change now, I dunno.

GUE ones just as good?

3. The pencil uses those stacked-up kinds of pastic-encased lead thingies so if it breaks, all you have to do is pull the broken-lead holder out and stick it in the top of the pencil to push the new lead thingy into place.

Ever drop one of those plastic encased lead thingies and not been able to push the next plastic encased lead thingy forward far enough to write with?

Back
Top Bottom