Wetsuit Drying Rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeanQ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've had some time off school and, as a result, have been diving. I'm getting tired of letting my wetsuit drip dry while it hangs over an old ladder so I've decided to build a rack for it. In other words, I have free time that I need to devote to diving while I'm not diving.

I'm thinking of making a structure out of PVC that will circulate warm air through the suit. What is the best way to design this? Should I have two seperate pipes going up each leg then a crossbar that joins the two and goes through the arms? I also have a shorty that goes overtop of my fullsuit, so I am planning on making a scaled down version for it too.

In addition, I'll need to make a rack for my gloves boots and hood. For this I am thinking of making two pipes with arms that I can place the items on.

If anyone has any suggestions please post them.

I actually use some pvc pipe laid diagonally across shower curtain and towel rack. Using a dehumidifier in a small closed bathroom usually helps dry out suit overnight.

The idea of using a pvc pipe with drilled holes would be a great idea for booties, gloves and socks. Have wondered what would be best way to ventilate with warm air. A hair dryer would likely get hot after a short time as would a small heater.

SeanQ:
I've had some time off school and, as a result, have been diving. I'm getting tired of letting my wetsuit drip dry while it hangs over an old ladder so I've decided to build a rack for it. In other words, I have free time that I need to devote to diving while I'm not diving.

I'm thinking of making a structure out of PVC that will circulate warm air through the suit. What is the best way to design this? Should I have two seperate pipes going up each leg then a crossbar that joins the two and goes through the arms? I also have a shorty that goes overtop of my fullsuit, so I am planning on making a scaled down version for it too.

In addition, I'll need to make a rack for my gloves boots and hood. For this I am thinking of making two pipes with arms that I can place the items on.

SeanQ:

Here's mine:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t54541-another-drying-rack.html

SeanQ:

Check out the racks used to dry rental ski boots at resorts.. They have a pipe and a fan in them to ciruclate air.

Make a rack or other hanger out of PVC. However PVC won't go easily down into the arms/legs w/o bending it. So how about 2 or 3" flex hose? Like vaccum cleaner hose. Hook it to the PVC near the neck and simply snake it down into the legs and arms. For gloves/booties, put a few braches off the main trunk to hang them on and also force air into them. If you need to reduce the air flow at any "nozzle" point when building to "even" out all the air distribution, you can always heat the end of the PVC pipe with a plumbers torch and squeeze the end of the pipe down into a nozzle to restrict air flow.

Thanks Rick. How much air comes out of the top when all the plugs are opened? I'm hoping that with all the holes on my rack I will have enough air to dry the whole thing.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to design this rack so it won't topple over. A soaking wet 7mm wetsuit is pretty heavy. I'm thinking of attaching the heater/fan to the bottom, then having a T pipe branch out on one side and form a gloves boots and hood rack like yours. A bit further up, and on the other side, I'll put another T pipe and then build rack for my fullsuit. Further up the main pipe, and on the same side as the glove rack, I'll put a smaller rack for the shorty. The shorty dries pretty quickly and so it won't need as much air circulation as the gloves.

SeanQ:
Thanks Rick. How much air comes out of the top when all the plugs are opened? I'm hoping that with all the holes on my rack I will have enough air to dry the whole thing.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to design this rack so it won't topple over. A soaking wet 7mm wetsuit is pretty heavy.
The hair dryer has different fan/heat levels. On high, with all the plugs open, I can dry my dry suit, hood, gloves and boots in less than an hour.
At the base of mine I have enough length of parallel pipes to keep it from falling over.
Good luck with yours!

I think I'll skip on using the dryer attachment for drying my hood while it is still on my head. I think I scared my neighbours enough as I swung my wetsuit around like a shillelagh. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom