Wetsuit for Galapagos diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sskyrm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have booked a liveaboard trip for the end of June this year in the Galapagos Islands. The water is going to be cold, and I recently bought a Henderson 7mm TherMaxx Jumpsuit. In comparing it with my Bare 5mm, it seems less heavy and thick, and I'm wondering if it is going to give me enough protection. I get cold easily! Any thoughts would be welcome. I also have a 6mm hooded vest and a Lavacore undersuit that I could layer with the wetsuit, but don't want to bulk up too much.

I have booked a liveaboard trip for the end of June this year in the Galapagos Islands. The water is going to be cold, and I recently bought a Henderson 7mm TherMaxx Jumpsuit. In comparing it with my Bare 5mm, it seems less heavy and thick, and I'm wondering if it is going to give me enough protection. I get cold easily! Any thoughts would be welcome. I also have a 6mm hooded vest and a Lavacore undersuit that I could layer with the wetsuit, but don't want to bulk up too much.
I think you have plenty. I dived a full 7 mm with or without a 5/3 hooded vest.

Your right, it is cold that time of year. I’d bring your 7ml suit, hooded vest, and lavacore. If I do it again, I’ll bring my semi dry or drysuit. Probably drysuit, it’s easier to get in and out of.

Agreed. I did it in a 7mm, hood was barely enough most days. A few days I was freezing. Now I have a drysuit :)

I always find it useful if people add ‘age and weight’ to these questions....my friend’s buddy who I hadn’t met, proud;y announced that he dives at Socorro in a rashie and shorts...when he turned up to the boat it became apparent why. He is 6ft 3 and 325lbs....

I'm his height, but over 100lbs lighter. Many of the Galapagos dives were extremely low activity (staying still and watching all the animals), so it got cold--to me--quickly.

I always wonder with a guy who is 6’3” and 325lb, if they are warm, or they wear what they can find and are otherwise cold as well.

Thanks for the input, everyone! So I am 5'9", 160lbs, and just turned 70. I guess my main question is, is the Henderson 7mm TherMaxx effective? It just seems so light compared to my 5mm Bare wetsuit.

i am 65 and looking to buy heated vest!with 5 mm and hooded vest
Galapagos in January.

I own a 7mm Henderson Thermaxx and on at least one occasion I have rented a 7mm Bare. I did not notice a difference, and I'm happy with the Thermaxx. (I also get cold easily.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom