Wetsuit for Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The last real wet winter I remember was in the early 'knots ('02-'03?) and I lived/worked the populous Island. I saw 69 degrees on my computer one nasty current day at the YO-257; for sure saw 70 at the Sea Tiger, but less current and it felt colder. The Mahi was cold; so much greenery grew on the West Oahu hills that winter that the wildfires the next summer were pretty spectacular! :shocked2:

Depending of the fresh water seeps many Hawaii dive sites get pretty cold when it rains a lot. I think Makena Landing is a pretty cold dive, Sharks Cove can be a cold dive, Tunnels; funny how those sites all have lava tube caves, I mean subterranean streams. When it rains in the hills the ocean gets colder.

Take a look at the Ave annual ocean temps in Kona, where it normally rains in the hills a lot; If March has a ave of 71 they regularly get some high 60's.

US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

Look at the current temp in Hilo; winds have not been trades as much as normal this month/winter (less rain) :idk: Ave Jan temp 72, current temp nearly 76.

Last weeks dives off West Maui and Lanai were 75 on my computer, didn't even look today because my Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene 5 mm finally came back from repair. :eyebrow:

If it drops to 72 I'll be thinking about at least a vest.

Last edited:
I've been diving almost every weekend Dec and Jan. 3 mil on the first dives and 3 mil with a micro fleece chill guard top on repetitive dives. Dive lengths 60 to 75 minutes. Mid week night dives I was wishing I had on something a bit thicker after the first 30 to 45 minutes. I agree with the earlier posts that a hooded vest would be a nice addition to a 3mil suit. (about $35.00) Also this is "winter" and your trip is in May. Even though there is only about a 5 or so degree water temp difference you should be here as it's heading upward from the "fridgid" Winter temps!! :wink:

Have dived Maui with both 3mm full and 5mm full. Both with wetsuit booties/strap on fins and light tropical gloves and was never cold in Jan, May, or Sept. A hood of somekind would definately make a difference too although I have bever used one there. I'm sure you"ll be fine with your 3mm full especially if getting 5mm would be a custom suit. Just bring booties, gloves and a hood and have a great time.

I dove in December with a 3 mil and a beanie. I was OK but I also brought a 5 mil vest with a hood and that was better. It does all depend on your cold tolerance.

The water temp yesterday was about 74F, and I was shivering by the end of my first dive in a full 3 mm. I'm not the type that gets cold easily, either. By the end of my second dive, I was feeling pretty wretched. Seems the water temps this winter are a mite cooler than last year's - either that, or I'm getting old! By May, the water temperature should be heading toward the low 80s...in the summer, the water's usually a balmy 82-83F, if I recall correctly (don't have my log book in front of me to check, so sorry). I'm usually just fine in a 3 mm in the summer, although if one dives very frequently (2-3 dives a day for consecutive days), you might need a thicker suit. My fiance is an instructor here on Oahu, and even in the summer he uses a 7 mm suit, as do several of his colleagues. Consecutive days of water exposure will do that to a person, I guess.

it has been uncommonly cold this winter, I feel like my 5mil aint cutting it anymore.

My wife and I used to dive in Hawaii in 3mm wetsuits. Then we started getting cold after a few days of diving and added hooded vests. Now we start getting cold with that setup and sometimes borrow 7mm suits to go with the hooded vests. I started looking at 5mm wetsuits and noticed they are way more that twice as thick as my 3mm suit. Then I looked at new 3mm suits and they are also much thicker than my current suit. I know wetsuits lose some insulating properties after being repeatedly compressed during dives, but have come to the unfortunate realization our 3mm suits have become useless for Hawaii diving even in the summer (after 100 or so dives). Depending on how many dives you have in a 3mm suit, you may want something thicker (or newer). The newer more stretchy wetsuits are supposed to break down faster from diving from what I've been told.

I also find that each year the water feels colder for the same temperature, but I think that's more a factor of getting older than anything else

How much diving are you planning to do? Honestly, if you're only going to do a couple of days, a 3mm will probably be fine in May. If you plan to dive quite a few days in a row, unless you're very cold tolerant you'll definitely want a bit more neoprene IMO. However, I agree a 3mm hooded vest will likely be enough to add.

Personally, I won't wear less than a 5mm full with my current suit being Merino lined for added warmth. When we're back on Maui in April, I'll have my 3mm vest with me as well, and my husband plans to layer his old 3mm full over his 5mm Merino lined suit. Granted, his old 3mm is probably more like a 1.5mm, but April will still be in the lower 70's and colder than December was.

I dive a 3/2 all year round. It does fine. As long as you keep warm during your surface intervals you will be fine. On average you will most likely do two dives a day, maybe three. A hood is always a good idea, just make sure you are familiar with using one on a dive. Enjoy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom