Wetsuit for Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are going to Hawaii in May and will be staying on the Big Island (Kona) and Kauai (Poipu).

I own a 3mm full wetsuit that fits and I love it. Do you think it's enough for Hawaii? I'm not a generic size so I hate to rent wetsuits.

It depends, how tolerant to cold are you. I would say around May your looking at 71-74 degrees depending on where you dive. I used to dive in a 3mm in Hawaii and got a little cold...but i am also a wimp to cold as most people were fine in 3mm. I would say bring it and tell what ever dive op your with your not sure and have them bring an extra suit, or buy a 3mm vest and layer.

Make sure you do the manta ray night dive...its life changing.

Yes, cold tolerance is different for everyone. In Panama at 76F I used only my body suit for protection. The last dive was bathing suit only in order to let the body suit dry for packing. No problems at all.

Hi Kryssa,

It depends on your tolerance to cold, the duration of your dives, and how much diving you'll be doing. I'm reasonably tolerant to cold but I tend to have longer dives and often dive 4 dives, or more, per day. I've been to Hawaii, only Maui and Oahu, 4 times over the last 5 years. Last time I was in Hawaii (Oahu), I used a 5 mm full suit, sometimes with a 3 mm hood, and was quite comfy with hour plus dives. I've also done pretty well with a full 3 mm and a 5/3 mm hooded vest.

It's difficult to be too warm, but it miserable to be shivering.

Good diving, Craig

This post would probably be better on the Hawaii US subforum

Last edited:
I agree with everything posted here. On my last few trips to Hawaii, I've been layering a 3mm full with a 3mm shorty, and have been much more comfortable on the SI and during the second dive than when I've just worn a 3mm full. I also self-classify as a super-cold-water-wimp (not a lot of natural insulation), and to contrast, on each of my dives I've seen people wear trunks and t-shirt and be just fine.

I would say around May your looking at 71-74 degrees depending on where you dive.
That a bit colder than I would expect. 71-74 is the minimum yearly temps in Maui, which IIRC are the 1st half of Feb, with 71F being an unusually colder than normal year.

By May the water should be a bit warmer.

The water around Hawaii are well stirred and mixed and you won't find a thermocline in recreational depths.

-----------------------------

My suggestions:

1. Wear a hood or beanie. This helps a lot, with negligible additional buoyancy.
2. Use your 3mm. If it's not enough, get a shorty from the boat.

------------------------------

I'm and ultra warm water wuss and use 5mm + beanie for 1 hour boat dives in anything less than 78F, and for anything less than 76-77 for 90 minute shore dives.

Most people are comfy in 3mm + beanie.

The water temp in may should be about what it is in December: Google Old Kona Airport State Park Sea Surface Temperature (HAW - Big Island, US) ( url posting rules -> no link).

When I was there last month most had 3 mil full no hood. Guides all seemed to dress warmer either hood or shorty under a 3 mil full. I was in a 5/3 and felt about right. Computer said temp was 75 or so at depth.

Water temp should be cooler than it's been the last couple months, typically drops 4-5 degrees over January and February and gradually starts going up in the spring with the warmest water of the year in the late summer through early winter. What thickness of suit might depend on what non-generic size/shape you are. If you are thicker bodied, the three mil, with maybe a hoodie or a shorty on top should work, if you are very lean, I suspect you'll prefer a 5 mil.

We just went to Maui and dove Jan 10th at the Molokini Crater and I only had a 3mm shorty. I went 110ft and was fine. Water temp was around 75 degrees and i did not even have a shiver. Everyone is different and I have a few extra pounds of insulation on me. I just hope you guys have a wonderful trip. It is a divers paradise and I can't wait to go back. Bring a camera, you will see some incredible species while you are diving there.

Back
Top Bottom