Wetsuit, How Cold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sydney Australia... 5mm rental with hood and gloves.... 54 F air temp and 49 F water.... brrrrrrrr.... had a blast though on both dives... was too excited to care I guess. Kept wondering why we had hot soup and crackers after every dive and drank warm water to boot... :)

Oostvoornse meer - 39F/4C - 7+7mm - Air temp 34F/1C :)

Did two (once a year) fresh water ice dives in a custom 7mm farmer john with attached hood. 20 minute BT +/-. Dive was thumbed by buddy in dry suit. I'd do it again if I had the same suit and the same fit.

Don't have the logs any more, so can't report exact temps, but I do remember the first year it rained on the lake and turned the 2' snow into slush and the snow mobiles couldn't retrieve us. 3/4 mile hike in the snow was more memorable than the dive that year.

About 45F at the bottom of a fricken COLD lake in VT in MAY in a 7/7mm farmer jane and hooded jacket. No idea what the air temp was and wasn't paying attention due to the fact that I turned purple and was banished to the truck for the rest of the day.

Above the Artic Circle.
28df water, bitter fricken cold air temp, 1/4" Farmer John. Used both a Golden Royal Aquamaster and a Jack Brown.

After those dives it was weeks before the ladies would even smile.

If someone asked me to ever do that again they would see my hands in a position like this o!oo oo!o. :D

Gary D.

The coldest water I eeer dove was 46F. It didn't seem that cold at the time, but I wouldn't knowingly do it again. Air temp was low 60s. Normally, my 6.5 farmer john is reasonably comfortable to about 52F.

Gidds:
About 45F at the bottom of a fricken COLD lake in VT in MAY in a 7/7mm farmer jane and hooded jacket. No idea what the air temp was and wasn't paying attention due to the fact that I turned purple and was banished to the truck for the rest of the day.
Where is uri?

The University of Rhode Island (URI) is in Rhode Island. Rhode Island is so small that you may miss it if you blink on the highway :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom