Wetsuit Layering - opinions on Corewarmers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Kat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Was looking for info on layering wetsuits w/ corewarmers (or other wetsuits - maybe a shorty?) ..... Will be doing multi-day diving in Cozumel in Dec and am concerned my 3 mil Hyperstretch may not be enough since the water will have cooled a bit ..... Anyone real familar with using a corewarmer over/under their wetsuit for tropic waters? Or would I be better off just adding a hood? (Although I hate things on my head ...) Thought the corewarmer would get more use - by itself in the summer, and layered for spring & fall. Any thought out there?? Better ideas??
:confused:

Most of us that spend much time in the water have pretty thin blood, so to speak. Must be an acclamation thing. It's common to see instructors and DMs layering in the cooler months. Most seem to favor the sleeveless vest (without hood) under the wetsuit. When it gets colder they add the shorty over that. As an alternative to the hood, you may want to try the little "sqid" neoprene beenies....they are pretty common here with "frequent divers".

Hope that helps,

Darlene

You really, really need to cover your head. I don't like hoods either and use a beanie. I have the step-in piece to my new Liquid Fit suit, but have not used it. When I do use it, it will put a total of 7mm in my core. If that ain't warm enough, this WWW is getting out of the water.

Stay warm and dive safely.

Given the amount of heat lost from the head, that would be the first thing I'd cover. I think it really helps on multiday diving, even in the tropics. Doesn't Henderson make one now in Hyperstretch?

Thanks for the input all .... I guess I'll give in and cover the head. I think I'll check out a vest with hood first, and see how that works out. Since I was originally thinking corewarmer, a vest will give me some of the extra body warmth as well.:)

and you won't have to take it off to use the head. I know this may sound like a preoccupation with me, but I did at one time have a hooded jacket that went over a one piece, and with our longish boat rides here, it was a real problem!
One thought, though, if it isn't made of hyperstretch or its equivalent, get a side zipper model -- much easier to get on and off.

I absoutely love my hyperstretch hooded vest. I dive in cooler waters (50-60 degrees) and wear it over a hyperstretch 7mm one piece. Most people dive with a two piece in these parts but the hooded vest keeps me plenty warm without being constricting. I've also used a hyperstretch hood with my one piece but the hooded vest is actually more comfortable and easier to don.

~LittleFrog

Thanks LittleFrog - originally was looking at hoods, but don't like the idea of trying to tuck the bibb in and all - plus the vest will give more warmth .... hopefully having something on my head won't drive me crazy!!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom