Wetsuit stink during heavy dive trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, how do you beat the stink out of your wetsuits on a trip where you are constantly diving?

On my last trip, we only dove twice a day. When the neo started to stink, we had plenty of time to soak it in woolite and get the smell out.

My wife and I are leaving for Roatan in several weeks, and we are concerned that we won't have time to do this there. Are there any good tricks to try? I'm worried that the humidity will keep the suits from drying out and make it worse, rather than better.

I think I need a guaranteed no-stink wetsuit. :)

I use a couple of options. First, Sink The Stink has little travel packets that you can bring along, very handy. Rinse your suit at night in it and hang until the morning. Also Febreze spray is great to bring along, fill a small spray bottle and throw it in your luggage and lightly spray. I was hesitant on this one until several people told me they used it and I then gave it a try, won't kill bad odors like Sink The Stink will but it helps.

Ok, well, the first thing would be not to pee in your wetsuit. That will keep the stink down. Naturally that is very hard to do sometimes since it is beaten into our heads that we must keep hydrated! I take along some Sink the stink with me and then apply it in the concentrated form in the appropiate areas. After two or three days even this won't help so just soak it in the tub in your room and hope it will dry by the next dive. Dang near impossible in the warmer humid climates. Some people take two wetsuits! Not me, I couldn't possibly carry anymore than I already do. Good news is everyone on your boat will smell the same..... :wink:

Thanks for the tips. I'll certainly give them a shot.

It's the hot/humid environment combined with a five dive a day plan that gives me pause, but it shouldn't be that hard, eh?

The sun can be hard on a wetsuit but it's also a great disinfectant. If you turn it inside out and hang it in the sun for a few hours before packing up it won't stink so bad.

I take 2 suits now. But they're 1mm so easy to pack. (I figure I'll actually get more use out of the extra suit then whatever else I would have packed, like too many clothes.)

Debraw:
Some people take two wetsuits!
I'm not willing to carry extra wetsuits, but DO bring two pairs of BOOTS.

Before bringing along extra boots, my other solution was to soak them in slightly chlorinated water. A bucketful out of the whirlpool did the trick :wink: I replace worn out boots fairly often, so I don't have any hesitation about dunking boots in chlorinated water. I'd only do that to a wetsuit if it got to the point where I was trying to keep downwind from everybody on the boat :chicken:

Another possible solution, but one I haven't tried yet, is to simply leave the wetsuits soaking in cold water overnight. Moist and warm promotes growth of nasty stuff, but sitting in a bathtub all night should keep the nasties at bay.

I've used plain old vinegar in a dunk tank. Leave in for 5 minutes, and hang. Works great ( a bit of a vinegar odor remains, but, gets rid of the stink great )

Back
Top Bottom