Wetsuit Thickness (2mm vs 5mm)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did suggest a dysuit above (due to the tech diving possibility) but if I were to suggest a wetsuit and there are two options, I would always go for the thicker option. My preference is also for a full suit if possible as well for protection purposes.

The reason being is it very easy to cool a thicker suit down - open the neck/wrist and flush it. The problem with the thinner suit is that if you get cold, there is absolutely no way to make it warmer during a dive.

I did suggest a dysuit above (due to the tech diving possibility) but if I were to suggest a wetsuit and there are two options, I would always go for the thicker option. My preference is also for a full suit if possible as well for protection purposes.

The reason being is it very easy to cool a thicker suit down - open the neck/wrist and flush it. The problem with the thinner suit is that if you get cold, there is absolutely no way to make it warmer during a dive.
Right. The opposite problem on land. You can add clothes to get warm but can only take so much off. I can see how some that dive tropically but get cold in the water must time just right when they don their suit, so not too hot before the dive. Not usually of a problem in NS. When I have had that problem, I made sure my suit was in the shade beforehand.

I usually wet my suit to keep cool out of the water. I even do it with my drysuit. Evaporative cooling really good if you are diving a suit with a shell or some exterior fabric that can be wetted down. Being in direct sun is always a problem in warm weather

I've found that the perfect compromise is a hooded 3mm farmer john two piece. You end up with a 6mm core and 3mm arms and legs. That keeps me comfortable in a pretty wide range of tropical temps, and if it gets too warm I can always ditch the top.

I’m surprised so many of you wear such thick suits. I don’t notice what other people wear but I guess I’m in the minority. I live in south Florida and don’t travel to dive. About 3 weeks ago I did a single 82 minute dive with the water temp @77 degrees wearing a front zip 3mm vest and board shorts. Yesterday I did a single 68 min dive with the water temp 73 degrees wearing a 1mm suit. One of my co-workers is a tall skinny female who wears a 5mm suit with a vest and hood in the middle of summer. Things that make you go hmmmm.

I’m surprised so many of you wear such thick suits. I don’t notice what other people wear but I guess I’m in the minority. I live in south Florida and don’t travel to dive. About 3 weeks ago I did a single 82 minute dive with the water temp @77 degrees wearing a front zip 3mm vest and board shorts. Yesterday I did a single 68 min dive with the water temp 73 degrees wearing a 1mm suit. One of my co-workers is a tall skinny female who wears a 5mm suit with a vest and hood in the middle of summer. Things that make you go hmmmm.
I saw my first drysuit ever on a boat out of Destin in mid winter--didn't know what it was (an instructor was wearing it). But the thick suits people wear down there is quite understandable, since our bodies acclimate to the climate we are in. Since leaving northern Manitoba in 2005, I have gradually found my resistance to (really) cold water to get less & less. Yet at age 20 growing up in NY, I hated the cold. The 25 years up North switched things around so I hated the heat--now it's switching back.

I dive in SE Florida year round. In the summer, the water temperature might be in the mid 80s. In the winter, or with a cold upswelling, the temperature may be as low as the high 60s or low 70s. I hate being cold and, the older I get, the less tolerant of cold I am. I can't think of much worse than shivering (body shaking, teeth chattering) in the cold. I have a 3mm, 5mm, and 7mm full suit and a 5/3 hooded vest. I wear all 3 wet suits every year. In general I dive the 3 to the high 70s, the 5 from low 70s to high 70s, and the 7 from the low 70s on down. I add the hooded vest whenever I'm cool and, of course, wear gloves when cool also. I'm here now and the water temp has been 72-74, I switched to my 7mm this trip. You don't do much work while drift diving, making the hour plus dives all the much cooler. This is particularly true when doing 4 dives a day. The other invaluable piece of exposure protection is a good boat coat, especially when there is wind at the SI. I'm frequently the only warm one on the boat, I'm thinking of getting myself a 7/5mm hooded vest :)

There is a good chance of getting heat exhaustion when diving in the tropics if using a heavy wetsuit.
Not underwater but waiting on the boat fully kitted up in the blazing sun while some clown inevitably breaks a mask strap or can't find their boot.
I've long since worked out a strategy to get into the water FAST... I don't mind floating about in the relative cool while the rest of the boat sort themselves out!

For your area, 29C is pretty warm. Drysuit is overkill. This fall I dove in Roatan with water temps close to that and I needed nothing and I was doing 4 - 5 dives a day.

Consider this: Add a long sleeve Lavacore with hood to your shorty. Here is a link:

L/S Hooded Top

It will give you possibly the warmth you need (hood makes a major difference), be machine washable, and not require you to carry any extra weight as its neutrally buoyant. Being a new diver that skill development is pretty important. Actually crticial if you're already considering TDI courses.

I think you definitely run a lot warmer than me but also think single dives vs 20-30 something dives, 3-4 dives a day, 7-12 days in a row makes me feel the chill more so than usual. Surface area to volume...women are definitely running colder! :)

Back
Top Bottom