Wetsuits of old were a boon to a ladie's figure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got that picture from a guy I know who collects vintage scuba picutres. He was over and read this thread the other day. He agrees with you about the easy access illusion thing. You wre right on target! Guys are so visual!

In my earlier days of scuba diving I did wear a few of those suits with Beaver tails and they were easier to get on. At least the jacket. I don't like these new suits very much. My shoulder hurts from reaching around and zipping it up the back. It seems like the new suits are more old fashioned than the old in that regard.

diverbrian:
I should fly to where you live, LOL.

Just kidding! It is amazing, though that the cold water version of our fine sport seems to be male-dominated, isn't it?

I care more about a ladies ability to dive than how good she looks in an exposure suit. I would rather not have to rescue anyone and I don't much care how they look when I say that!

Well, I find myself diving with women buddies about as often as men buddies ... maybe even more so. And I've noticed that generally speaking, women have a different diving style than men ... for the most part they're less "goal oriented" and more interested in taking it slow and enjoying the scenery. Except for those I mentor, I don't usually have to concern myself with ability ... most of my female diving friends are excellent divers, some have way better diving skills than I do.

Yeah, men are visually oriented ... this one thinks there's something inherently attractive about the sight of a woman in a drysuit. Just the fact that she's willing to put herself in the kind of environment that requires one tells me she has a sense of adventure ... and that's an indication that she might be someone I'd enjoy spending time with.

Some of us guys are way past the "woo woo" phase of life ... we'd rather be around a woman who knows how to relax and have fun than one who's always concerned about looking good ... after all, no matter what you're wearing, how good are you gonna look when you take that mask off and there's a nudibranch hanging out your nose ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Well, I find myself diving with women buddies about as often as men buddies ... maybe even more so. And I've noticed that generally speaking, women have a different diving style than men ... for the most part they're less "goal oriented" and more interested in taking it slow and enjoying the scenery. Except for those I mentor, I don't usually have to concern myself with ability ... most of my female diving friends are excellent divers, some have way better diving skills than I do.

Yeah, men are visually oriented ... this one thinks there's something inherently attractive about the sight of a woman in a drysuit. Just the fact that she's willing to put herself in the kind of environment that requires one tells me she has a sense of adventure ... and that's an indication that she might be someone I'd enjoy spending time with.

Some of us guys are way past the "woo woo" phase of life ... we'd rather be around a woman who knows how to relax and have fun than one who's always concerned about looking good ... after all, no matter what you're wearing, how good are you gonna look when you take that mask off and there's a nudibranch hanging out your nose ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I generally prefer diving with women due to the "difference in style" that you mention. But for some reason, very few of the the women out of our shop is (well two now that I think of it) really like diving up here. The rest of the women seem to prefer to wait for a warm-water trip. The LDS owner is complaining that he doesn't have a female DiveCon or Instructor.

Ok, back to the topic at hand. I still say that I really don't care how she looks in her exposure suit. I am male and very visual, but I tend to have different priorities. I would rather have a somewhat drab-looking woman who is a good diver on the boat than a beautiful woman who goes up and down like an elevator. I have had the privilege of diving with lovely women that know how to dive, too. The problem there is that they are difficult to see for all of the men circling them, LOL. After all, I agree that we all need to fix that "mask defog" before we get back on the boat.

Barbara, did any of those beaver-tail suits you wore have twistlocks? Also, what colors were those suits?

As a matter of fact I did use my older sister's old red wetsuit to do my early diving in. We are about the same size so it worked for me, sort of. It was off the coast of Barnegate, NJ and the water was cold! It was a full red suit with beaver tail, black twisty clasps. I wore a farmer john with hood. I was all in red. The guys on the boat joked and called me little red riding hood! I buddied up with the only other woman on board who was getting certified with her hubby who got sea sick. What a dive! I do remember at about 70 feet on the bottom, I had to unzip the jacket a bit because the suit was too tight and it was constricting my breathing a bit. That was another thing about those older style suits. You could do that cause the zipper was in front.
After that I got a suit that had a velcro fastener and it was a nice powder blue with stripes. a henderson.

Talk about a trip down memory lane, or was that the History Channel?

My first wetsuit was from a Sears and Roebuck sporting goods catalog (They used to sell everyting for SCUBA including spear guns!). It was black neoprene with a beaver-tail and the twist locks. To ensure that "custom" fit it came with glue and a pattern!

:umnik:

It's always fun to look back, but remember one thing, these suits were not lined. Are there any still around that remember how very difficult it was to get into these rubber suits. Oh my God, I was almost dead by the time I had donned my suit. Thank you, thank you, for hyperstretch and gold core. I found some pics of some very stylish ladies suits.......can't wait to wear these on my next dive trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mermaid:

Dont mean to sound rude but the women i see diving look good in any type of wet suit. Being a new "single" guy, I must say you women young and old look just fine in todays suits!

Why, darlin, ain't you just a sweet little thang!!!!

barbara:
I don't like these new suits very much. My shoulder hurts from reaching around and zipping it up the back. It seems like the new suits are more old fashioned than the old in that regard.

I totally agree, Barbara. I would much rather wear a wetsuit that zips in the front, simply because the back-zip suits are so awkward. Which leads to my next question -- exactly why did wetsuit manufacturers start going to the back-zip wetsuits?

Back
Top Bottom