Whaleshark trip week of July 18-26?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know someone who went to Holbox a couple weeks ago for a whole week. They ended up boating to the area around Isla Contoy... and had 30-50 sharks every day. Would have been much easier travel wise to stay in Isla Mujeres (and they could have gotten in some diving and other activities on the days they didn't go on the whaleshark trips) I've heard that some of the Holbox boats are going out of Punta Sam this year (close to Cancun).

To whalesharks seem to be further south and east this year and big numbers. From what I've been hearing and the photos and video I've seen so far, it looks like it would be an amazing year to do the trip. Water seems bluer then in recent years too.

I'm sure the details vary year to year.

I know someone who went to Holbox a couple weeks ago for a whole week. They ended up boating to the area around Isla Contoy... and had 30-50 sharks every day. Would have been much easier travel wise to stay in Isla Mujeres (and they could have gotten in some diving and other activities on the days they didn't go on the whaleshark trips) I've heard that some of the Holbox boats are going out of Punta Sam this year (close to Cancun).

To whalesharks seem to be further south and east this year and big numbers. From what I've been hearing and the photos and video I've seen so far, it looks like it would be an amazing year to do the trip. Water seems bluer then in recent years too.

I think the Eco Colors boat we were on out of Punta Sam will go anywhere between Holbox and Contoy depending on where the sharks are. After talking with a dive buddy that went to Holbox on the same day we saw them near contoy, I believe the vis is much better by Contoy. I could clearly see a group of five mantas that were at least 20 or 30 feet below me while I was chasing one of the whale sharks. DiverG's pics, and mine once I have time to post them will show you how good the vis was.

Better late than never. Here are some of my whaleshark pics from our July 22nd adventure! :D

Attachments

• CZM09 255.jpg
    CZM09 255.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 32
  • CZM09 233.jpg
    CZM09 233.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 41
  • CZM09 259.jpg
    CZM09 259.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 32
  • CZM09 279.jpg
    CZM09 279.jpg