Whaleshark trip week of July 18-26?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no idea what the cost would be. I paid $50 last year for a sub compact to drive to Tulum and Coba but I didn't know where else to go in Playa to get a better deal. Papa Hogs emailed me back and said they recently had some divers make their own way to the docks and they only paid $100 each to be taken out. If we could rent a small van or something, I wouldn't mind driving. It would be fun to explore north of Playa thishttp://www.scubaboard.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4557146 time.
I use Cancun Car Rental, Rent a car in Cancun, Playa del Carmen Easy Way Car Rental to rent in PDC. They were an hour late on me last year, but I can't find anything better. They're about 5 blocks from the ferry dock. 15 passenger van: $187/day including taxes and complete coverage, or pick a smaller one.

There is not much to explore between PDC and Cancun I don't think, but that'll get you there. Hope you can find a decent map.
Oops the title should say July 18-26.
I asked a Mod to change your title for better attention. Have a great trip.

Snorkel With Whale Sharks Holbox Island From Playa del Carmen Mexico

This is definitely a doable trip in one day DiverG. It's $150 pp without ground transportation so it's not a lot cheaper to rent a car and go with them. I've heard cheaper numbers from other places if you do your own ground transport, but I haven't found the web sites yet. If we go with Tankha and just use their ground transport for $185 we would need to be in Playa at 6am and they would drop us back off there at around 3:30. Sounds like a great time to grab some fish tacos and dos equis by the ferry pier! :D

Does Wednesday the 22nd work for everyone??? We need to settle on a date that works for everyone interested so we can get the ball rolling on reservations!

Does Wednesday the 22nd work for everyone??? We need to settle on a date that works for everyone interested so we can get the ball rolling on reservations!

22nd is good for me and I might even be able to get a friend's place in Playa for free but no promises.

22nd is good for me and I might even be able to get a friend's place in Playa for free but no promises.
So stay in Playa Tuesday night rather than catching the early ferry on Wednesday?

That's what I am thinking especially if it's free. She might be there right now so I might not hear back from her before I leave for Cozumel.

I've been doing some digging and so far I haven't found much better rates than what you found. I'm thinking the $185 pp from Playa sounds simple and probably our best bet. I'm going to email Papa Hogs again to see if they know who took their people out for only $100. If we can get that, it would definitely be cost effective to rent a car rather than paying $85 extra per person for maybe 6 people.

As for an overnight in Playa the night before, I'm still up in the air about that. We'd only be getting up an hour earlier to take the ferry accross from CZM. Let me know what you hear. We'll most likely have a laptop with us in CZM so we can keep in touch.

I use Cancun Car Rental, Rent a car in Cancun, Playa del Carmen Easy Way Car Rental to rent in PDC. They were an hour late on me last year, but I can't find anything better. They're about 5 blocks from the ferry dock. 15 passenger van: $187/day including taxes and complete coverage, or pick a smaller one.

There is not much to explore between PDC and Cancun I don't think, but that'll get you there. Hope you can find a decent map.

I asked a Mod to change your title for better attention. Have a great trip.

Thanks Don. A 15 passenger van might be a bit much. Hell, I'd hate to have to find parking for it! :shocked2: If they have something that will seat 6, we'll keep them in mind. I'll go check the link you posted. :wink:

I keep hearing about captains taking people out to the whale sharks from Isla Mujares for $100 which would definitely make it worth driving ourselves, but I can't find any info on them on the net. As of now I'm thinking the $185 including ground transportation sounds the best just to keep it simple.

Don's link has a Toyota minivan that seats 7 for $45 a day plus insurance. If we can get hold of one of the captains at Isla Muhares that'll take snorkelers out to the whale sharks for $100 per person, and we end up with 6 or 7 in our group, that'd save at least $500. It's worth doing a little more digging. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom