Whaling thread gone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman:
The best hot dogs in the states derive from 24-hour Gas Stations.

You have obviously never been to Pinks on La Brea in L.A.!!!:D

MoonWrasse:
Do they just cook the dogs in the tar pits or do they also get the meat from there ?
:wink:

Contrary to what you may think, the La Brea Tar Pits are not on La Brea Ave.
If you are ever in Hollywood and want to have a great chili dog, they are on the corner of Melrose and N. La Brea Ave.

The natives here are still allowed to subsistance hunt a few whales a year.
My mom's guy has been supervising an installation project in Selawik that his employer has contracted. He's making a lot of money for all the OT plus incentives for working in the "bush." Each trip out there, he's been doing his part to generously support what there is of the local "economy" by buying custom carved ivory pieces and handmade stuff like the muskrat and beaver hat he gave me for Christmas.

Anyhow, this was the first successful bowhead whale hunt for this village in several years (usually they just get beluga). It was a real blessing for these people not only for the meat and fat (an important part of the diet in cold places), but for the cultural lessons taught to the young people.

Snowbear:
The natives here are still allowed to subsistance hunt a few whales a year.
My mom's guy has been supervising an installation project in Selawik that his employer has contracted. He's making a lot of money for all the OT plus incentives for working in the "bush." Each trip out there, he's been doing his part to generously support what there is of the local "economy" by buying custom carved ivory pieces and handmade stuff like the muskrat and beaver hat he gave me for Christmas.

Anyhow, this was the first successful bowhead whale hunt for this village in several years (usually they just get beluga). It was a real blessing for these people not only for the meat and fat (an important part of the diet in cold places), but for the cultural lessons taught to the young people.

Are the Bowheads just getting scarce up there, or were they unsuccessful with their traditional techniques? As a sidenote I remember that in one of the bowheads they found a harpoon/spearhead that was dated at least 100 + years. There are some estimates that some of the bowheads may actually exceed 200 years making them the longest lived mammals on Earth.

Snowbear:
Something about not being within range of the boats. Recently with the ocean current and weather changes, they are apparently coming closer to the coast again.

Thanks. I was wondering what would account for such variability between years.

The whaling thread has now been replaced. Due to the fact that the title has been changed (among other things) you may have lost your thread subscription link and will have to re-subscribe if you want a link to it. It is now back here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=122740

Please note UnclePug's announcement which clarifies how such discussions may be conducted.

Here's some information regarding Antarctic Minke whales stocks. A link to the BBC news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4282627.stm

Also, Greenpeace has deposited a dead fin whale on the doorstep of the Japanese embassy in Berlin. Somewhat hard to ignore, but not a great tactic (IMO) considering that Germany is not a whaling nation. I would think this move would tick off people vs. garnering empathy from the German populace.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4627178.stm

A great tactic would be to have school children pressure their parents to just give up eating the stuff. Kids are awfully persistent and more open to change and reason.

Mr.X:
Here's some information regarding Antarctic Minke whales stocks. A link to the BBC news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4282627.stm

Also, Greenpeace has deposited a dead fin whale on the doorstep of the Japanese embassy in Berlin. Somewhat hard to ignore, but not a great tactic (IMO) considering that Germany is not a whaling nation. I would think this move would tick off people vs. garnering empathy from the German populace.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4627178.stm

A great tactic would be to have school children pressure their parents to just give up eating the stuff. Kids are awfully persistent and more open to change and reason.

I agree with you about the children. The more I think about that whaling thread, the more upset I get. The thing is everyone talks about these noble cultures and their practices. I feel that my southern California culture of growing up on "Disney and Bambi" as someone put it every bit as legitimate.
California is a great state. We have one of the biggest economic engines in the world, making many countries pale in comparison. So much innovation and technology has come out of this state. We are the first to get problems and the first to solve them! California culture is every bit as legitimate as any body else's, maybe more because we change and adapt to the changes in this world faster than anyone. SO, I refuse to feel guilty about being Californian, American, or emphatically asking the same people that are all upset about somebody writing on coral but fine with putting majestic mammals through a slaughter machine to stop. It does not take much spiritual evolvement to see the difference. My hope is that those of us whose "ethnocentric" California culture tells us in our hearts that this is wrong will not be bullied or made to feel guilty and insensitive for speaking out against whaling. In the meantime, get a grip about someone touching a nudibranc.

Oh, I almost forgot why I was posting, before I got on this rant that has been eating on me. I saw on the news two days ago where this Japanese whaler took a shot at a Greenpeace activist with his harpoon. That is so wrong even if you do not agree with anything Greenpeace does. These are people who have passionate convictions about protecting the environment. Maybe they are fanatics, but that should not excuse that whaler from almost harpooning a human being. Truly one more heartless act.

And to you MR.X: Thank-you for posting the links above. Very balanced and factual. You have been kind of taking on this cause, here by yourself for awhile now. Many who agree with your (our) position are reading, learning, and watching. You have our support, and gratitude.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom