What a disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well let's try to make this sad story having a happy ending. As I said I'm not a heavy smoker, so my reasons not quitting are that I enjoy smoking most of the time. For me smoking was like having a glass of good wine with your meal. Well I know how politically incorrect my statement is but that is the reason why I smoke. This said I'm aware of all illness that smoke causes and I understand completely your disgust about the smell (btw. who doesn't, me too I don't like it) and everything that goes with it. Well it's difficult to explain why i like smoking to non smokers, it's like describing a colorful picture you find beautiful to a blind person. Anyway that said, my life approach is that I want to be kind of free thinker (I know it's so impossible but at least I'm trying), so this means nothing in this world should stop me doing what I think is right (there's a lot to say about this approach but this is not the topic). And cigarette is just doing this to me. I want to see/learn/practice what GUE is teaching so I contacted GUE instructor again I said I quit smoking and in 3 months I can take the fundies. Now we will see how utopist was my belief that I can quit whenever I want. Thanks for those who tried to explain in nice words the DIR philosophy or tried to understand what I wanted to say. To others well sometimes even if you are right it's better to stay humble, it hurts people less. But then who am I to give lessons to anyone.

Thanks guys and cheers,

Ivan

Ivan, you have my very best wishes and thoughts for successfully quitting smoking. It will be the single best thing you can do for your long-term well-being.

And Fundies will be fun, too . . . :)

Awesome! Best of luck. Keep us informed and let us know if you need some cheerleading. My guesstimate is that the enjoyment you will have from Fundies will absolutely make it worthwhile. Heh, who knows, if all the planets line up maybe you won't ever want another smoke and will live longer! Good luck.

Hope to see you in the water.

Ivan,

I wish you the best with your decision to become a non-smoker.

The difficulty in undertaking this task is different for every individual. I'm guessing that the degree of difficulty has to do with a person's chemical makeup.

I decided to become a non-smoker almost 30 years ago. I understand what you mean by saying that one can be fit and smoke at the same time. At the time, I was in excellent shape. I competed in soccer and lacrosse, as well as, field events like discus, shot put and javeline. I'd alternate between diving and skiing on weekends and spent a lot of time cross training by riding my bicycle 50 to 100 miles in addition to weight training.

Many of the other athletes and coaches I knew then also smoked. Some of us would chain smoke a whole pack on one match.

One day, I was smoking with my friends and I just said to them that this would be my last pack. Everyone laughed and the jokes went on for the rest of the night.

The next day someone who was not there when I made my declaration and who had been smoking with me many times before offered me a cigarette. I politely responded, "No thanks. I don't smoke." I got a pretty funny look, but in my mind I was now a non-smoker. For me it was that simple.

It seems that about every 5 to 7 years I get in the mood to smoke a cigarette. I get a pretty funny look when I ask someone for a cigarette, since everyone knows I don't smoke. I smoke about half of it and then just put it out. I don't remember how long ago I did this last, but it must have been about 10 years ago.

Just keep thinking that it's no big deal and start telling people that you are a non-smoker.

I hope it's as easy for you as it was for me.

I'm guessing that you may be taking your class with Gideon Liew. While I have never taken a class with Gideon, I've had the opportunity to meet him when he was teaching a Tech 1 class on Catalina Island in California. I was diving with a group from ScubaBoard that weekend. Gideon and I had time to sit and chat after his students and co-instructor had gone to bed. I must say that I was impressed with him as an individual and greatly enjoyed our conversation. I came away from our talk that night with a great deal of respect for this gentleman.

Good luck and enjoy your class.

Christian

ivan73:
... I want to see/learn/practice what GUE is teaching so I contacted GUE instructor again I said I quit smoking and in 3 months I can take the fundies.
ivan73:
Thanks for those who tried to explain in nice words the DIR philosophy or tried to understand what I wanted to say. To others well sometimes even if you are right it's better to stay humble, it hurts people less. But then who am I to give lessons to anyone.

Thanks guys and cheers,

Ivan
Ivan, I would say you are the gracious lesson in the midst of this internet conversation. Along with so many others here, and undoubtedly many in your circles of friends and family, I wish you success in all your goals and efforts.

Quitting smoking is not always fun, but most who succeed deem it worth the effort.

Fundies is certainly NOT always fun, regardless of our dear Borg Queen's blithe statement :wink: , but most find it Very Much worth the effort.

The assimilation will continue until everything improves :D ... or at least sucks a little bit less.

Best regards,

~~~~~~
Claudette

MBH:
Ok, we all know that smoking is bad for you. GUE requirements stipulate that GUE-F applicants must be non smokers.

Just for clarification, all GUE courses require you to be a non-smoker. It will be interesting if GUE takes the high road and has this requirement for the upcoming OW course, or if market pressure will cause them to waiver.

Edit: Trying to get the quote to display correctly.

SkullDeformity:
Can we start a TsandM fanclub?

I'm in! Can we get cool badges or t-shirts? I love reading TSandM's posts!

Ivan, good luck! I lost my Dad due to cancer. He dropped the cigs in favor of snuff and it caused him a whole host of problems.

Good luck and be patient. Quitting smoking is the hardest thing that I have ever done.

hehehehe.... Most people think that I am unpleasant to talk to now, they should have seen me for the first year after I quit.

ivan73:
Well let's try to make this sad story having a happy ending. As I said I'm not a heavy smoker, so my reasons not quitting are that I enjoy smoking most of the time. For me smoking was like having a glass of good wine with your meal. Well I know how politically incorrect my statement is but that is the reason why I smoke. This said I'm aware of all illness that smoke causes and I understand completely your disgust about the smell (btw. who doesn't, me too I don't like it) and everything that goes with it. Well it's difficult to explain why i like smoking to non smokers, it's like describing a colorful picture you find beautiful to a blind person. Anyway that said, my life approach is that I want to be kind of free thinker (I know it's so impossible but at least I'm trying), so this means nothing in this world should stop me doing what I think is right (there's a lot to say about this approach but this is not the topic). And cigarette is just doing this to me. I want to see/learn/practice what GUE is teaching so I contacted GUE instructor again I said I quit smoking and in 3 months I can take the fundies. Now we will see how utopist was my belief that I can quit whenever I want. Thanks for those who tried to explain in nice words the DIR philosophy or tried to understand what I wanted to say. To others well sometimes even if you are right it's better to stay humble, it hurts people less. But then who am I to give lessons to anyone.

Thanks guys and cheers,

Ivan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom