What a disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bottom line is that smoking isn't DIR. GUE doesn't want to be around it, DIR divers don't want to be around it. Secondhand smoke is actually worse than smoking. Its not a secret ritual or anything, its right there in the standards.

At the DIRF level some instructors have had a "don't ask don't tell" attitude in the past. I don't know if that's changed, but the standards are there and GUE is to be commended for setting a higher bar. They are not interested in compromising to allow parts of the system to be taught. They teach the whole ball of wax.

If you want to revert to smoking, solo diving, split fins, and a jacket BC after class, that's fine. But in class the standards are clear and not open to negotiation.

we agree on a more and more things...... that unnerves me. :)

rjack321:
The bottom line is that smoking isn't DIR. GUE doesn't want to be around it, DIR divers don't want to be around it. Secondhand smoke is actually worse than smoking. Its not a secret ritual or anything, its right there in the standards.

At the DIRF level some instructors have had a "don't ask don't tell" attitude in the past. I don't know if that's changed, but the standards are there and GUE is to be commended for setting a higher bar. They are not interested in compromising to allow parts of the system to be taught. They teach the whole ball of wax.

If you want to revert to smoking, solo diving, split fins, and a jacket BC after class, that's fine. But in class the standards are clear and not open to negotiation.

Wakeup if you think there aren't any DIR and GUE divers that smoke. That I know of, there are atleast 2. I know them personally and they've done plenty of deco dives without repercussions. So be careful, one day there's going to be one of those smelly DIR smokers on you wreck and oh my God, you're gonna die.

all4scuba05:
Wakeup if you think there aren't any DIR and GUE divers that smoke. That I know of, there are atleast 2. I know them personally and they've done plenty of deco dives without repercussions. So be careful, one day there's going to be one of those smelly DIR smokers on you wreck and oh my God, you're gonna die.

Then by that definition, they aren't really DIR then, despite what they might think. If you don't embrace the philosphy wholly, you aren't DIR. There's no half way.

NWGratefulDiver:
Communication is also an important diving skill ... one that DIR emphasizes. So why are so many DIR proponents so piss poor at it?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Piss poor communication isn't an exclusive feature of DIR proponents, this problem is wide spread throughout our society......how else do you explain all the attorneys?

David K

39 days until Cozumel

I've never understood smoking, and I never will. It costs money and hurts your health in every way. Just quit, it's not like anybody thinks it's cool or a good idea. If you need help to quit, get help. No sympathy from me.

SkullDeformity:
...Just quit...
Oh, if it were that easy. It took me three years of trying. That was... wow... nine years ago. I think there are people who physiologically have more adictive genes or something.

Some people are lucky enough to just up and quit something one day while those of us with something added in the addictive department just can't do it easily. It's not a mental thing like some people think. The physical addiction is amazing. It's like nothing I've ever known before. And, boy howdy, am I glad to be done with it. I have never had another cigarette since the day I quit. I know that if I did, it could be three years before I was a non-smoker again.

I also don't think help is readily available like it is for alcoholics or drug addicts. I think companies know that it's a huge money-maker to get people to "try to quit" versus actually getting them to quit.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom