"What a weekend" Calypso J, RAM, Aquamatic & Mistral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Double Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well Saturday was a good day. I dove the warm waters of SE Florida in vintage style. Reg #one was my Calypso IV J just to set the bar. It’s all original and was probably never touched, so aside from a cleaning and lube the parts are same as new (37 years ago). So much for the Aqualung recommended $80 annual overhaul.

Next I was able to dive my buddies Round label RAM that I totally rebuilt for him using all new parts from VDH (thanks Brian) it was mounted on his Double 72s with a new Aqualung doubles web harness. I am very happy with my tuning; it is a perfect breather in all positions.

Then I changed to my fathers Over Pressure DX that was converted to a Mistral in 1960. He bought it new in 56 and it’s the one I learned on. It has also been the recipient of a VDH transplant and did better than OK. But I do believe that I can tweak it more, so back to the bench.

Lastly, I dove my Aquamatic. It is an early one from 57. Fortunately the rubber is still good on the mouthpiece and retaining ring but the diaphragm was another story. It was brittle, so I had to make a new compound diaphragm using a USD Octo diaphragm and one of the exhaust valves from a Micra, quite a bit of out of the box thinking was required but is has paid of in spades. It works! And not bad either.

We have a Vintage friendly LDS and a couple of Vintage friendly dive boats as well so maybe we can get a "Vintage weekend" going sometime.

There are worse places to be than Boca Raton Fl for diving.

Back
Top Bottom