What about other manufacturers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lmorin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There is a split in the industry between those manufacturing companies that allow web-based sales and those that don't. Most or all of the companies on this board allow such sales. Is there any effort to get the others to participate in this discussion? What are the ramifications of the split re customers, purchases and satisfaction?

ScubaBoard is CONSTANTLY trying to get manufacturers onto this Board. We don't sell gear here: we advertise only. This is indeed the best place to brand your gear to the general diving public. After all, no other publication comes CLOSE to matching our numbers and they know it. The largest Scuba magazine has a circulation of less than 300,000. Last October we had 1.53 million UNIQUE visitors. If you took all of the Scuba Related publications and lumped them all together, their circulation would still not equal our numbers.

So please: LOBBY YOUR FAVORITE MANUFACTURER. They need to be here and you deserve no less. After all it's absolutely stinking free for them to have a private forum.

BTW, some claim that they are afraid of the Internet... but that doesn't stop them from having web sites and e-mail. It's time for more manufacturers to join the Tribe! Then they can put the 800 Pound Scuba Diving Gorilla to work for them as well!

I'm glad someone asked this, I was wondering myself, I would be more than happy to put on some pressure and write some letters.

Having been directly involved in the dive industry for 10 years as an instructor / retailer / wholesaler and now an equipment manufacturer, I have come across this issue many times.

While there are many manufactures that claim they do not allow internet sales, they are quite happy to turn a blind eye on infringement. This is especially true where there is a regional distributor for an area. Let face it money talks…….. …They can easily claim that this is out of there control and in the grey market.

It is also very easy for the larger manufactures with an established distribution network to deny internet sales, thereby ensuring that their dive retailers carry a certain amount of hardware in stock and are tied into their product both financially and by stopping them from engaging in internet sales on their products, thereby also limiting the LDS for building up an internet based shop for fear of losing their main supplier.

While there has been much discussion on this topic already it is my opinion that this restriction on business is actualy detrimental to the LDS, who would be in a much better situation to serve their customers with a larger choice of goods at competitive prices without having to carry everything in stock. Taking for granted good suppliers and logistical support.

As a new equipment manufacture we are more than happy to support LDS whether they engage in internet sales or not. While we do not have same resources as the big players out there, we will use the internet as part of our marketing strategy without under cutting or taking away the LDS ability to trade profitably.

For LDS to deny the reality of the internet and to bury their heads in the sand is fool hardy. Both the customers and the LDS will benefit from the free market approach with more choice, better prices and a clearer overview of what is available out there. Limiting the customers choice to the one or two brands that many LDS stock is neither beneficial to the customer or to the over all sustainability and profitability of the LDS.

But really Udo,

The question for them to participate here on :sblogo: has nothing to do with Internet sales. We don't sell anything! We are an advertising venue and they do that all the time, even when they go with the traditional print media (TPM). You have to believe that the TPM has finally woken up to the fact that this little shoe string web presence has completely outstripped them in terms of exposure to Joe Diver.

I would suggest that :sblogo: is:

* The best place for you, the manufacturer, to connect with your potential end users.
* The perfect venue to show off your commitment to Customer Service.
* The perfect place to create buzzzzzz about your new products.
* The largest publication devoted to Scuba Diving: the 800# Scuba Diving Gorilla.
* The best place to brand your name and your gear.
* By far the most COST EFFECTIVE means of advertising any Scuba related product.

Much the same could be said for resorts and retailers alike. No one currently enjoys the reach that we have. No one.

It's time to join the Tribe here at ScubaBoard! No one ever gets voted off of our island.

Well put Net Doc and I agree with you all the way.
Scubaboard is a great place for anyone involved in diving:D

However I believe a many of the manufactures are scared of the “800 Pound Scuba Diving Gorilla” with 70,000 friends.

That is a lot of people to answer to that:
  • All have an instant voice
  • With “1.53 million UNIQUE visitors” in October
  • Print Media is more dependant on advertising, and very rarely lets any dirt fly on potential or major advertisers
  • Private opinions on forums cannot just be overlooked or ignored (perhaps edited later if OTT)
While there are exceptions to the rule some of the major players in any industry not only scuba are very slow to respond to customer service issues and have to discuss this with various managers and departments before getting back to the customer.

The “800 Pound Scuba Diving Gorilla” moves very fast and waits for no one.:no

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom