Suggestion What about...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
moderators?

clubs?

forums?

What do you have to say about the rest? the bannings thread is starting to slow down a tad.

I say the board could use an opt in mailing list.
Board members having "special goings on" could submit particulars of said specials to the "list god" for dissemination to interested parties, thereby avoiding any conflicts of interests with the TOS, etc.

Pete, seriously, I'm a little bit confused here. I'm going to try to say this nicely but...

why do you care what we have to say about moderators?

You've already said you're going to back them up and that you're not going to tell us anything about their actions. There have been NUMEROUS (as in hundreds) of suggestions regarding future conduct regarding moderators, and you said:

"WE have decided many things together, and so I will support them in all of it. Whether I agree or not is moot once we arrive at a decision. To my knowledge, this is true for all of the mods, so deal with it. I have yet to make an executive veto as I would trust any of these mods with my life and so I naturally trust them to deal with the board in an honest fashion. We are truly a band of brothers and sisters, and I watch their backs as they watch mine. "

So - honest answer - and I mean this with all due respect, but - is there any point to discussing moderators here, or is this just a plece to put all the whiners (like me, lately.)?

Boogie,

I didn't ask anything specifincally about the mods and there were several thoughts in the other thread that were never developed...

How are mods made?

What would you expect from a mod?

Should mods be allowed to have opinions?

Again, I don't want this to be a flame fest, and I will probably move anything that simply flames a mod. This is not intended to be "which mod do I hate the most and why". But, I learned a lot from y'all in the other thread, and I would like to let you have your piece here as well. Obviously there is no way that I will please everyone, but I think everyone who wants to express their views should do so and right here.

You are probably confused because you have me pegged one way, and I am not fitting into such a simple profile. People have ALWAYS been able to send me suggestions (and no, I can't answer ALL of my mail... sorry!) and contrary to the belief of a few, I put a good deal of thought and prayer into this board, considering the counsel of all who will give it.

Just because I back my team %100, doesn't mean I won't change the play book from time to time to improve our play.

"How are mods made?"

We have no idea. No one knows anything about what mods do other than have their own forum and yank bad things.

"What would you expect from a mod?"

Honestly, reasoning, and accountability. However, by keeping what the moderators do strictly limited to those "in the know," we can't get that.

"Should mods be allowed to have opinions?"

Um, yes. Vendettas, no.

While I'm on the subject of mods, I think this whole system is reprehensible. I've been "on the other side" of the mod argument in many forums and irc channels and so forth, and I can wholeheartedly understand how you think the way you do. However, being on *this* side here and other places, I really honestly think the stonewalling is total BS. Saying (I'm making this up) "SeaJay was banned for threatening to beat up Uncle Pug, RavenC was banned because she was letting SeaJay use her account after his ban to threaten Uncle Pug some more," etc, would make this all go away. There are absolutely no privacy issues involved. If I posted a goatse link, got banned, and people asked, I'd fully expect a "Jonnythan, the dope, posted obscene links and got banned."

Right now, the way it feels on *this* side is "We [moderators] aren't confident enough in our decision to ban to make it public. I mean, if everyone knew RavenC and CobaltBabe were banned strictly by association, they'd be mad and leave."

I have no desire to know which mod did exactly what, but disclosing even the simplest specific instance that caused a ban would do volumes for the credibility here. There isn't any now.

This whole thing smells like a cover up...
I dont like it. I dont like the way the mods sneak around in their little back room and plot against us...

THE BANNINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORAL IMPROVES!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I have a question, is BANNINGS a word???

Maybe it should be:

THE BANISHMENTS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORAL IMPROVES!!!

LUBOLD8431:
Ok, I have a question, is BANNINGS a word???

Maybe it should be:

THE BANISHMENTS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORAL IMPROVES!!!

I think "bans" works fine :p

NetDoc:
How are mods made?

You and the other moderators should select them, they have to be people you feel comfortable with on your team. I think you have done a good job at trying to have a geographic representation. It might also be important to have people who have interests in different subjects or diving specialties or locales, kind of like subject-matter experts, so that they can more effectively moderate certain discussions.

What would you expect from a mod?

To set the example for members by adhering to the TOS and performing their duties fairly and professionally. To respond to member's PMs. To assist new members in learning the "rules" of the Board, which may mean repeating something for the umpteenth time without losing patience. I have been impressed that most of the mods (and especially some former ones) do all of these things.

Should mods be allowed to have opinions?

Of course, they are people too! They should also be able to express them here...

Thanks for asking, Pete.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom