What actor justin theroux’s near dive fatality can teach us

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

His job is to tell exciting stories on talk shows and sell what ever project he is involved in. I agree he was getting the star treatment and it went sour. But he was paying a resort to take care of him. Not really what we like to see in a new diver, but he isn't really a diver. Sounds like he is a bit on the delicate side....

Last edited:
Why the hell would he make multiple Discover Scuba dives rather than take the small amount of time and energy to get certified??
You would be surprised just how many folks will do multiple discover scuba experiences rather than actually take a course. I happens alot in the Keys. I've had families insist on booking 2 days of dives after the DSD...really. I can't convince them that is the time it takes to get certified. And I've had 1 family that came to the Keys for 10 years only doing DSDs each time. Their annual week consisted of 1 day diving, 1 day snorkeling, 1 day fishing, 1 day jet skis.
As in many things, it's hard to convince the public that it is safer to invest a wee bit of time to learn what is safest, than it is to sell a few moments of instant gratification.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

You would be surprised just how many folks will do multiple discover scuba experiences rather than actually take a course. I happens alot in the Keys. I've had families insist on booking 2 days of dives after the DSD...really. I can't convince them that is the time it takes to get certified. And I've had 1 family that came to the Keys for 10 years only doing DSDs each time. Their annual week consisted of 1 day diving, 1 day snorkeling, 1 day fishing, 1 day jet skis.
As in many things, it's hard to convince the public that it is safer to invest a wee bit of time to learn what is safest, than it is to sell a few moments of instant gratification.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
People like that just want to get to the fun part without having to do the work. If they took a class that would mean that they would have to possibly give up the day of snorkeling, fishing, and jet skiing, and they have limited time. As long as they can just rent some gear/DSD guide, and get to "pretend" they are scuba divers that's probably good enough for them.
For this reason I don't know if DSD's are a good thing or not? In a case like those people, it really doesn't lead to any support of the industry in the form of classes or gear sales other than the immediate fees for the guide and the equipment rental, which I suppose is better than nothing.

People like that just want to get to the fun part without having to do the work.

I don't think that's unreasonable for a lot of people. Assuming that DSD can be done safely based on site conditions, instructor-student ratios, and a lack of panic/anxiety/etc.. in the individual diver, it's actually a pretty fun thing to do for someone who has never been able to see the underwater world before. And if it's fun, they might want to do it a second time.

If you are on vacation with your family for a week, it might be a pretty hard sell to say that you are going to spend a big chunk of that week in classrooms, pool sessions and four checkout dives with skills checkouts, etc.

Believe it or not, lots of people don't want to be certified divers, or even to "pretend" that they are scuba divers, they just want to see the pretty fish once or twice. So they do a couple of 3 hours activities and leave lots of time left over to do other fun things, or to just relax. Is there anything wrong with that?

If it is somehow "unsafe" to do multiple DSD dives why is it safe to do the first one? If that's how someone wants to spend their time and money that's fine with me. The problem I think is more in the instructor leading the DSD dives. By violating standards in the first dive and becoming more lax in subsequent dives. If all DSD dives were run like it's the first time someone did one and standards followed then it should be okay to do multiple DSD dives.

If it is somehow "unsafe" to do multiple DSD dives why is it safe to do the first one? If that's how someone wants to spend their time and money that's fine with me. The problem I think is more in the instructor leading the DSD dives. By violating standards in the first dive and becoming more lax in subsequent dives. If all DSD dives were run like it's the first time someone did one and standards followed then it should be okay to do multiple DSD dives.

I wonder if there are agencies that actually spell that out. For example, a DSD dive usually involves a pool session and a reef dive. If you do two DSDs on two subsequent days, do you need to do pool sessions for each of them, or does the agency allow as many DSD dives as you want with only one pool dive within a given time frame...

I wonder if there are agencies that actually spell that out. For example, a DSD dive usually involves a pool session and a reef dive. If you do two DSDs on two subsequent days, do you need to do pool sessions for each of them, or does the agency allow as many DSD dives as you want with only one pool dive within a given time frame...

Good question how that is handled either on consecutive days or year after year.

Fortunately, most celebrities are well aware of the safety concerns associated with technology, and respect those who develop regulations to minimize risk.

He tweets that he'll never fly Virgin again because they wouldn't let him take hoverboards on board with his kids, upset that Virgin didn't tell him prior. I'm sure he'd been the last passenger on Virgin to tweet anything negative about Virgin about endangering his kids if another passenger took one on board and it caught on fire, he'd never do that!

What a jerk. Tons of money, tons of c**p on his twitter :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom