What actor justin theroux’s near dive fatality can teach us

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next year he will be on the today show telling a new story about how he went sky diving on vacation and they didn't give him a parachute.

Personally I'll give it a 50/50 shot that he had any diving incident at all. He was on a shallow dive and apparently was low on air so the dive master put him on his octo and took him to the surface. Not much of a story to tell without all the bravado he added.

In general, people don't become famous as entertainers because of their amazing intellects. There are very bright very famous entertainers out there, but it isn't required for you to excel at that job.

Why the hell would he make multiple Discover Scuba dives rather than take the small amount of time and energy to get certified??

Why the hell would he make multiple Discover Scuba dives rather than take the small amount of time and energy to get certified??
There are several possible explanations for that. Some of those possible explanations wouldn't be particularly flattering for him...

A) as an adult only you are responsible for your own safety.

B) don't do "trust me" dives
Theroux was not really a diver, he was a customer buying a service. At his level all dives are trust me dives. He did make the mistake of trusting the wrong people. I doubt he realized he was in trouble until already in the water, and then he was trying to figure out if he was out of his depth or was this what every new diver went through and he just had a case of nerves...

and then he was trying to figure out if he was out of his depth or was this what every new diver went through and he just had a case of nerves...

If you watch the video he describes the incident. Per his own description there was no doubt in his mind, nothing to figure out, he read his gauge and made the conclusion he was low on air, he signaled the DM and was ignored, he showed the gauge to his 'friend', got confirmation he was in the middle of a disastrous near death experience, he signaled the DM again and the DM put him on his octo and surfaced from a estimate by Theroux of 40 feet.

I think he made the rookie mistake to not sound out he has a total of 1 dive under his belt. If I were not sure of myself if I am off diving a while. I would sound out. No shame in that

Sounds like he wasn't getting enough publicity and decided that a bit of attention seeking was the thing to do.

I have VERY low expectations for celebrities. Most of them have some talent in their fields, but because of their VIP status, they get all sorts of accommodations in life, and that has to mess with your personality to some degree.

This guys OBVIOUSLY was not a certified diver, he obviously had just done a single DSD dive. So talk about dive planning and about how he is responsible for the near accident misses the point. DSD divers are not responsible for that stuff. I'm not sure that DSD is worth the tradeoff in safety, but I understand the business reason for having the program - a lot of those people go on to become certified. However, if you do run a DSD program, the instructor is 100% responsible for the diver.

A C-Card is a C-Card, and no language barrier can justify someone assuming that a person who doesn't have one is certified. So I don't know what really happened there..

Finally, this guy probably embellished the story to make it sound good on television. He is a professional entertainer, after all.

Thank God for Google. I had to search to see who this guy is. His new wife used to be an actress, right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom