What an IED might look like

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thee de
Just a question.... I really don't know the answer.
Do flares work after soaking in salt water? How long?
Was this device found floating, or underwater? The photo isn't clear to me which.

thanks.

For those who have not read other threads I will, this time, be very explicit.

The device photo I posted was found on the day before the ferry explosion. It was found floating near the car ferry pier which is south of the main cruise ship pier. The captain opened it and found it contained an IED. The sticks were not flares, but of the type commonly used in mining. From another thread the chemicals were not HIGH Explosive, but any detonation, even fire works, in an enclosed space can produce ugly results—think pressure cooker bombs.

As instructed by the authorities our Captain took it to the new Fonatur marina where Mexican Marines detonated it.

The day after the Ferry explosion two more similar devices were found attached to the underside of one of the two idled Barcos Caribe boats which were anchored in front of the Cozumel Port Captains office. I have no idea if those were dummies or exactly the same as the one we found.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Back
Top Bottom