what applications would you use of a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive solo for the most part, dives are around 120 feet or less, having the pony makes my diving more enjoyable because I know that should something happen to my primary air source I've got the backup. I even take it with my on tropical vacations, even though I know I will probably be shallower than in the North East, and there will be plenty of other divers around. The piece of mind makes the inconvenience of carrying it around and having it filled, more than worth it.

I do not ever extend my dives or run my air low because I know I can count on the pony bottle, that would be insane.

The pony bottle came in handy a couple of times

1- I was in the Caymans doing a shore dive and admittedly misjudged the outgoing current, even though the guy who rented me weights and tanks told me there was an advisory in effect and very few divers entered the water that day. The swim back was more work than I thought and I was OOA (but on the surface) and the pony allowed me to swim back in without having to deal with a snorkel in rather choppy surface conditions. It lasted until I got back to shore.

2- Ok there was one time I was doing a rather shallow dive and I was really enjoying the scenery and I was working my way up from depth slowly and I took care of the safety stop along the way up and I knew my gas was getting low but I wanted to maximize the dive so I ran the tank dry knowing I was only a short hop to the surface if for some reason I couldn't finish up on the pony.

3- My pony is firmly attached to my primary tank with a "universal mount" that keeps it in place rather than hanging under my arm. It's more streamlined and it doesn't ever get in my way. I know, they say you should sling it in case you need to hand it off to someone else but I dive solo and I am not interested in rigging my gear just so that I might be able to bail out some other stranger who got themselves in a jam.

They make great door stops and paper weights.

I would never discount the usefulness of a redundant source of breathing gas in many situations, buddied or not. Carrying a pony doesn't mean you don't trust your buddy to rescue you, it is simply a means of self-rescue or buddy rescue.

It's honestly been a while since I've used a "pony bottle" but I have used an AL40 many times as both a redundant gas source, and also as a Stage Bottle to extend my bottom time on some dives. If I feel the dive requires a redundant gas source I prefer doubles now: more gas, more options for self and buddy rescue, more Rock Bottom, etc. But if I was worried about a failure of my backgas regulator (cold water) and I didn't have the option of doubles then I would feel perfectly fine carrying a pony bottle.

The main thing is, and this goes for any piece of equipment, is you should practice deploying and using your bottle to build the muscle memory necessary for effectively utilizing it in an emergency.

Of course, which pony to use and how to carry it is another debate altogether :wink:

Peace,
Greg

I use a tank mounted 19 cu ft pony. However, I'm mostly a solo diver and therefore feel the need for redundancy. With some of the buddies I've died with, the pony could be a necessity since it was essentially the same as diving solo. That statement applies to two types: buddies who have poor dive buddy skills and wander off, and buddies who (like me) are imagers and we are often too far apart to offer reasonable assistance.

If you have established buddies who practice good buddy skills, a pony usually would not be "necessary." However, if you travel, you may be stuck with a bozo or two and find yourself in need. I remember diving at Cousteau's resort with an assigned buddy who clearly stated he would not follow the rules set down by the DM. I left him to return to the group as he was descending to (or past) 150 ft at a fast clip.

I took a wreck course from an instructor who absolutely was against pony bottles. He made some good points like it adds unneccesary drag and it would contribute to alot of divers becoming too lax in their air monitoring because they feel like they could always fall back on the pony.

Gotta say I disagree with this a lot. We dive with ours as do most of our buddies and we are all constantly checking air and asking each other. If your diving single tanks I feel it add's a big margin of personal safety as a means of self reliance. It also give you the added benefit of being able to assist OOA diver better. If you toward end of your dive and both getting low on Air instead of Air Sharing off your ingle bottle and having to make a quicker head to the surface you can hand off your pony and should have enough gas to make a safe normal ascent and do your stops.

I know, they say you should sling it in case you need to hand it off to someone else but I dive solo and I am not interested in rigging my gear just so that I might be able to bail out some other stranger who got themselves in a jam.

There is another reason to sling, and the main reason I do so as I too am a solo diver. If there is a leaky valve on the pony, you may not have enough gas should you come to need it. If the tank is slung you can see the problem and manipulate the valves as needed.

I know I said I sling mine to be able to hand it off, but in reality a crazed OOA diver is likely to knock it out of my hands while they reach for the reg in my mouth. Not having an empty bottle if I need it seems a more prudent reason I think...

I never carry air I can't factor into my dive plan.
A 15lt single + 3lt pony weighs the same as twin 10lt, costs almost the same, has more gas, and all of it can be factored into the dive plan.
Having said that I dive twin 12lts.
I dive solo on a single 12lt with no pony.
If I wanted to dive with an independent air source it would be twin 10lts not manifolded or a stage cylinder that was part of my dive plan.
Never could understand the popularity of the pony.

I think there are two misconceptions attributed to divers who carry ponies- One is that divers use them so they can be lazy and loose with their gas planning. Most divers that I know that use them actually over-plan; none use the gas as "extra air"- it is contingency gas only for a number of possible bail out scenarios.

The other is that all "failures" that affect your primary air source can and should be handled with your back gas. True, you should be able to handle any OOA situation, but if I have the choice between a pony bottle and a CESA, I'm breathing the pony every time.

Personally, I carry a slung 19cf when solo (Almost always at 60ft and above, and with an HP100 or LP108 tank), or on a planned deep dive. No dive plan includes the pony gas. It can't. If I have to have that off, I no longer have it to use.

So far, I have used it 3 times: One OOA with a buddy (at 30ft), once with an instabuddy, and once on a planned deep dive with an AOW class (expected LOA scenario- students can hoover).

Last edited:
I took a wreck course from an instructor who absolutely was against pony bottles. He made some good points like it adds unneccesary drag and it would contribute to alot of divers becoming too lax in their air monitoring because they feel like they could always fall back on the pony. He stressed maintaining good buddy contact, air monitoring, streamlining you gear and sticking to the dive plan. It made sense to me the way he explained it. Of course if I was going to do some deep/wreck diving with a buddy I didn't know or just met I'd prob. feel a bit better with a pony anyhow....

When you say "wreck course" are you implying wreck penetration? And if so, were you in a single or doubles rig?

It's never advisable to go into an overhead without a redundant air source. Yes, I know ... people do it all the time. I still think it's an unnecessary risk.

I don't at all agree with your instructor on either point. Properly stowed, a pony bottle offers negligible drag, and the drawback of drag is more than offset by the potential benefit of having a redundant gas supply. The "lax" comment is a personal issue .. someone who has a tendency to be lax about their gas management is equally likely to be lax about other basic safety issues. Yes, they're out there ... and mostly they survive. But I can remember the names of a bunch of former divers who took unnecessary risks and got bit by it. All of those accidents were completely preventable.

Responding to the OP ... when I solo dive I will either wear doubles or sling an AL40. Otherwise, my redundant air source is with my dive buddy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom