what applications would you use of a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive double hp120s and always sling a aluminum 40. You get so used to it that it's like it isn't there. Some have said that the drag is an issue... Well I use jetfins so there isn't much of an issue. Maybe if I was in split fins or fins with less force.
I carry a aluminum 40 always to maintain skills needed when doing deco dives. I usually have a hot mix 75% or greater. My bailout is the redundancy of the doubles and my buddy. If it's a longer deeper dive I'll sling two al 40's. That's where I've been. I dove with 2 al 80's slung on my left to see how it feels but currently I have not needed that much deco gas.

Ok just curious since as I said its something I never got into. How exactly is it slung? Ive seen the tank mounts and distant photos of them hanging under the arm but how do you mount it for say?

This is how it's done: DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging

I carry a 13 cubic foot cylinder on the side of my main cylinder as a redundant breathing gas source. It is mounted to my BC's cylinder cam straps with the Zegale pony cam strap system. I mount it valve down so I can reach down and grab the cylinder valve. Because it has it's own first stage regulator, second stage regulator and pressure guage it is completely redundant to my main cylinder. It does make setting the rig in a typical tank rack on a dive charter boat a pain, but it is not a problem in any other way.

On deep dives I will some times slig an aluminum 30 cubic foot cylinder with a richer Nitrox mix in it. I always check the MOD so it will be around 1.6 for my planned maximum depth. That way it can be used as a redundant breathing gas source, even though I normally use it as an ascent (i.e. excellerated decompression) gas source. But, because I dive with in the No Decompression Limits all I am doing is adding a consevative space between my nitrogen loading and the table limits. It is not the same as doing a decompression dive.

That is how I carry and use "pony bottles".

I use a pony bottle for all dives, solo and buddy below 60 feet. The inconvenience of the bottle is also associated with the size. I often use a 6 cu-ft bottle for no-deco dives within recreational limits and it presents negligible inconvenience, but many people will think the bottle is too small. The 13 is also quite managable.

Also, if you sling, rather than back mount the bottle, the issue with space constraints in the tank rack on the boat is pretty much solved. It can be a problem if everyone uses back mounted ponies and the tank rack configuration does not accomodate this well.

Dumpster, Same philosophy and equipment that I use. Bottle is strapped to plate under my left arm, barely realize that it's there, not used to extend dive, only for emergency. Have never had to use this, never even been close, but I like knowing it's there.

I use a 13 cubic foot one attached to my tank. My rules are thus:
-solo dives 30' or less: don't use it, CESA easy.
-solo deeper than 30': only did this once- to 50', used it.
-with any buddy to 60': don't use it.
-with unknown buddy below 60': use it
-with known or experienced buddy 60-80': don't use.
-below 80': use it always.
-when flying to site: don't take it, take my chances I won't need it or rent one.
As stated, it's a personal cloice based on safetey v. hassle.

I use one for most solo dives except known sites <50 ft.

With known buddies, I take a pass unless the dive is planned at 90+ feet.

With insta-buddies below 50 it varies, I prefer to use one but at times don't have access and then I just become hyper aware of my new found best friend (probably as I should be anyway).

I have never had an issue with room on the boat with my 13 or 6 cu ft bottles. I can see how my 40 might be a minor issue on a crowded boat, still if the dive calls for it too bad cause my safety still needs to be #1 priority.

How often does everyone practice deploying, breathing, stowing hose and sharing? Just curious.
Most of my dives have 5-10 minutes of deco so I use it frequently.

I guess I should respond here as I don't use my sling as a pony bottle but I was still wondering.

I use a pony bottle for all dives, solo and buddy below 60 feet. The inconvenience of the bottle is also associated with the size. I often use a 6 cu-ft bottle for no-deco dives within recreational limits and it presents negligible inconvenience,

Just like my double spare air rig. Avoids all the ugly consequences of a gas loss from a single pony bottle....:D

Just like my double spare air rig. Avoids all the ugly consequences of a gas loss from a single pony bottle....:D

... do you use the nitrox model ???

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I use a 40 cf pony up here where the water temp. is in the mid to high 30's year round at depth, and free flows are a real concern. If you both go into free flow, your buddy won't be much help!

Regards,

How often does everyone practice deploying, breathing, stowing hose and sharing? Just curious.

Usually once at the end of the dives for the week we will use it. Typically at the platform or during our safety stop. Once might be just deplying and using for self and putting primary away clipped off. Or deploying and passing bottle off and clipping to each other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom