What are the chances?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I posted in the 71.2cuft tank thread that I was making a deal for a 72 for $10.00. Well I bought the tank. The story is interesting. I noticed the tank had a sticker on it from a now defunct dive shop owned by the instructor that taught me to dive. His son owns a shop now that is also a ski shop these days. I noticed that the tank never had a second hydro. It was made in 1973 and had a VIP sticker dated 1974. Also it has paint stick on it indicating it was a rental. I thought it odd that he would sell a rental after only one year and not put a new VIP sticker on it.

I called his son where I was going to take the tank anyway and asked him if his fathers shop and ever been B&E'd. He said no but his van had been broken into after a class and several rigs had been stolen. Turns out the tank I bought was one of those tanks.
The statue of limitations have long pasted and the guy I bought it from got it from a cellar he was hired to clear out. So the tank will remain mine, for what it is worth.

The tank was empty and had been for years the valve was open for who knows how long. The ID does not look good, especially the bottom. He's going to try cleaning it and if he can get it good enough he'll send it for hydro.

Strange how things work out sometimes.

Well I got the call today. My ten dollar 72 is cleaned, hydro'd and ready for action!

My buddy was able to clean the ID of the rust. The only pitting was at the bottom and it wasn't very deep. I'm set with tanks now. Four 72s' two 90's one 104 one AL80 and one AL19. My buddy said I have more tanks than I have dives left in me.:rofl3: Youngsters!

Viva la 72

Well I got the call today. My ten dollar 72 is cleaned, hydro'd and ready for action!

My buddy was able to clean the ID of the rust. The only pitting was at the bottom and it wasn't very deep. I'm set with tanks now. Four 72s' two 90's one 104 one AL80 and one AL19. My buddy said I have more tanks than I have dives left in me.:rofl3: Youngsters!

Congrats!

Though I bet your tank collection increases over the next year. :D

Yeah,
I was set when I had two tanks. Over the years they have reproduced and spawned an assortment of steelies and aluminum tanks ranging from a couple CF to bank tanks. I have about 45. When will it ever end?

After 40 years of diving I'm pretty much where I want to be tank wise. I never had many anyway, I usually rented any extra I needed for deep,long,deco diving or any combination of the three. I won't be doing that any more:D My next goal is a compressor. Then I can VIP my own tanks and ALWAYS get good fills!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom