What are the odds this is true?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My brain is so completely locked up with nasty, humorous, pithy comments about this "news story" that I am paralyzed.

This story has it all!

A purportedly over-inflated scuba diver, grotesque photos, Peru's state of the art medical care, British tabloids, decompression science... I don't even know where to begin with the snide and snark. Except perhaps to say, they couldn't put it on the internet if it wasn't true.

It will take me days to create the perfect witty troll remark that this story deserves.

Hi guys,

Actually, I think this might be genuine, albeit with an incorrect explanation. It is not nitrogen in the tissue per se causing the deformity. I think it is the worst case of lymphatic DCS I have ever seen. I cannot be sure but there are a couple of corroborating features. For example, early in the video you can see some typical skin DCS changes as well. The weirdest thing is the story that the DCS was 4 years earlier.... but who knows whether that is actually true. The skin changes look like an acute event to me. Maybe he had an event 4 years ago but kept diving and has had compounding problems.

I have seen huge breasts in males in lymphatic DCS in the past, but nothing to rival this! Bottom line, the manifestations may be DCS related, but the story is almost certainly inaccurate in some respects.

Simon M

Last edited:
Not too sure but the lady walking naked was interesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom