What are the responsibilities of a DM/Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally look out for everyone when I dive and take the rear point and work as a sweeper to ensure everyone in the group enjoys the dive and returns safely to the boat. To many times in large groups a DM who is guiding a dive looses track of a diver who is having issues. This happened during my daughter OW training. One of the divers in the other group had equalizing issues and got left behind/lost. When he was found he had blood in his mask where he was pushing himself to try and find the group instead of returning to the boat. Yes, by not returning it was his fault and yes because the DM didn't notice he was missing puts some blame on him as well. I think most of us who are just starting our adventure put all of our faith in the DM and trust him with our life. Maybe to much so at times.

Personally I do not care if your my buddy or not, if I know you or not if you are in trouble I will will help you. I consider everyone on my dive and everyone in the water around me a buddy even if they are diving from another resort. Many times here people have gotten in trouble doing wreak penetration and most of the time it has been a DM from a different group who has risked his life to save the person.

My personal belief is we are all divers and therefore we are all dive buddies...
You are to be commended. Every diver should have that attitude. Also, though, getting Rescue Certified is something a always advised OW students, and you are not yet. Wanna make sure you know the correct procedures when helping anyone, let alone a bunch on a guided tour. I'm a (retired) DM and don't at all think I'd like to looking out for anyone but a buddy (and I dive alone -- for one of several reasons--to avoid that). We need more divers like you.

There's a simple solution to being a single diver in a group, simply join one of the buddy pairs. There's no law that forbids underwater threesomes....

I have done this on many occasions, never had a bad experience. (yes we're still talking about diving, hehe)

This way the DM stays clear to do his job and everyone else has a buddy.

You are to be commended. Every diver should have that attitude. Also, though, getting Rescue Certified is something a always advised OW students, and you are not yet. Wanna make sure you know the correct procedures when helping anyone, let alone a bunch on a guided tour. I'm a (retired) DM and don't at all think I'd like to looking out for anyone but a buddy (and I dive alone -- for one of several reasons--to avoid that). We need more divers like you.

Sir, I thank you for your kind words. I am retired military and just trying to enjoy the rest of what I got left in the tanks with the Family. My dive buddy is my 12 yo Daughter. So, when we dive my eyes are always open making sure she is okay. Diving here in the Philippines is a lot different than everything I have read here. Here you dive with the DM and can't go off on your own. Wish we could but your not allowed. You just follow the DM guide round and round the dive site. Most of the time a bit boring and way to fast. Of course here in Subic Bay the average viz is only around 5 to 10 meters some sites a lot less.

Rescue diver is my next level and planning on it very soon. It will be a hard task for an old broken down mule like me but my dive buddy is my world and, as you said, need that knowledge since my daughter is getting her Jr. AWO. Next after that is self reliant for both of us.

Best wishes in your retirement and happy diving. Once again thank you.

Ed Baker

Ed, One thing I've noticed (on the board here) is that Rescue Courses trend to vary a lot. I took mine at age 52 and didn't find the physical part as demanding as I was told--the mental part was (for me anyway). In my opinion, it's the information that's most important. Many take the course who are very small and not capable of doing stuff like lifting big guys out of water. After I took the course I told my OW buddy a couple of things he should do if I ever needed his help--even just reading the manual would be of use--though of course not a substitute for the course. Good luck to you.

Ed, One thing I've noticed (on the board here) is that Rescue Courses trend to vary a lot. I took mine at age 52 and didn't find the physical part as demanding as I was told--the mental part was (for me anyway). In my opinion, it's the information that's most important. Many take the course who are very small and not capable of doing stuff like lifting big guys out of water. After I took the course I told my OW buddy a couple of things he should do if I ever needed his help--even just reading the manual would be of use--though of course not a substitute for the course. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the heads up. I will actually start doing drills tomorrow to start getting ready for the coarse. I should know after diving tomorrow if I will be able to handle the physical aspect of it. Being a disabled diver, back issues, might make it a bit harder but I think as long as I am not on dry land I should be okay. Either way I will ensure that I get the knowledge because I know it differs from regular rescue stuff that we learned in the Military.

Thanks for the heads up. I will actually start doing drills tomorrow to start getting ready for the coarse. I should know after diving tomorrow if I will be able to handle the physical aspect of it. Being a disabled diver, back issues, might make it a bit harder but I think as long as I am not on dry land I should be okay. Either way I will ensure that I get the knowledge because I know it differs from regular rescue stuff that we learned in the Military.

Rescue Diver has changed (from what I understand) over the years. I completed both the PADI version, and the BSAC equivalent. I and my wife were both 50 when we took RD.

Firstly the skills aren't that difficult. You do need to be comfortable in the water, loosing a mask, having a reg come out, shouldn't be something that causes you "stress"

As for the physical side; We both found the most challenging segment was supplying rescue breaths, whilst removing kit, in deep water (for us the ocean). Only because of the amount on fining required. It's surprising how high you need to get your body out of the water to give a proper rescue breath.

If I remember correctly, PADI stipulate 1 min of breaths before you tow someone, BSAC require less, the thinking is that you want to get the casualty out of the water ASAP. Obviously much depends on your location (are you near a boat or someway off the shore on a beach dive etc)

As for the lifts. We were taught the "lifeguard lift" in a pool (where you are on the side and bounce the victim out of the water) For our shore recovery, what ever works for you (my wife dragged the instructor out on her knees) It doesn't need to be pretty just effective.

From experience, as a DM I get more battered and bruised being the victim, then I ever did on the courses being the rescuer :)

If I remember correctly, PADI stipulate 1 min of breaths before you tow someone, BSAC require less, the thinking is that you want to get the casualty out of the water ASAP. Obviously much depends on your location (are you near a boat or someway off the shore on a beach dive etc
BSAC's recommendation is 1 minute then tow and.land without further RB, see here.

BSAC's recommendation is 1 minute then tow and.land without further RB, see here.
Yes my mistake.

PADI if more than 5 minutes away from surface support, give rescue breaths for 1 - 2 minutes with no response then the priority is to get the victim our of the water to start CPR, Discontinue rescue breaths in favour of speed.

In both courses I found the most physically demanding parts were in water rescue breaths, and prolonged CPR. On my PADI training the school had a dummy that not only gave (apparently ) realistic feel for the correct pressure of CPR, but it was equipped with LED's to represent the blood flow to the brain. If I recall correctly we had to do 10 minutes as a pair taking turns to give compression's and breaths.

I had no idea going into the first course how much effort this took

While I've been through both SSI's and PADI's rescue programs and teach PADI's, I'd be curious if there ever has been a successful rescue from a diver found not breathing underwater with a reg still in his/her mouth.

While I've been through both SSI's and PADI's rescue programs and teach PADI's, I'd be curious if there ever has been a successful rescue from a diver found not breathing underwater with a reg still in his/her mouth.
I believe we're all waiting for someone to witness that. A diver who is your buddy and goes unconscious within 3 feet of you seems much more plausible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom