• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

What are things you wish you could tell your past self (SCUBA RELATED)?

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba' started by Addison Snyder, Mar 6, 2021.

1. davecampbell

davecampbell Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    skip the jacket bcd, go right to a steel plate and wing.

skip the aluminum 80s, go with galvanized hp100s from the start.

get a drysuit sooner. diving wet, deep, and cold stinks. local diving for me is great lakes diving, so a drysuit is basically a must have, if you want any sort of length to the season.

dive more.

Jonn and Bob DBF like this.
  2. Subcooled

Subcooled ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    My previous post was on the short side.
    Let me explain my point in detail.

For some it does:
    - if you own your business, then it does
    - if your job is to do a certain thing for a certain monetary compensation, then it does
    - if you are paid by the hour, then it does

There are many people however, who have a fixed salary. These people will benefit from using a greater % of their leisure time to diving. Skill can compensate for equipment - especially when it comes to comfort and joy. Equipment can only partially compensate for skill (but to some extent, sure!).

But, oh, lets get real. Do you do one 60 min dive per week or two? This doubling of dive time is not likely to affect your income in any meaningfull way. Things may be different if you replace one day of diving with two days of diving and your income is actually dependent on time.

Unfortunately, you cannot become a better diver by purchasing expensive gear. Expensive gear can be comfortable and durable and a great investment - and a joy if you can afford it - but a lot can be done with rudimentary gear if the dives are properly planned. I have done some (rather easy) trimix dives, for example, using only an air/nitrox/gauge computer. It was not expensive and it did not calculate trimix deco stops but I did rely on tables, wetnotes, depth and time and these dives were absolutely wonderfull and enjoyable. I would have loved to use a $600 tech dive computer, but there were better uses for the money.

Below a certain depth however, be it 100 ft or 130ft or 160ft, you will want some helium, which practically requires decompression gas(ses) and some money to spend. Helium is not cheap.

Addison Snyder likes this.
  3. BoundForElsewhere

BoundForElsewhere Are we there yet? ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I would tell my past, current, and future self...

Move less.

chillyinCanada and Bagoose like this.
  4. wildbill9

wildbill9 Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Screw retirement go to exotic dive locations. I can afford them now but they take a beating on this old body.

Kimela, chillyinCanada and Wibble like this.
  5. Pressurehead

Pressurehead ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Do not sell the G250 [two] and one of your Mk10s, and do a 'stock check' of you Dive gear after a removal to a new area, someone did a 'stock take, steal' of some gear , did not notice for some time.
    Edit: And fishing gear as well.

6. dberry

dberry Hydrophilic ScubaBoard Supporter

I was lucky and found advice on ScubaBoard at the same time as we did Open Water Cert. First gear purchased was BPW, so no regrets there. Tons of helpful advice ever since.

But if I could, I'd live closer to the water and find a friend with a boat.

Bierstadt likes this.
  7. Bierstadt

Bierstadt Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I did a lot right with gear and training, largely thanks to the insights I learned in this forum.

Some things were mistakes (compared to the optimum path) that I learned enough from and enjoyed enough that I don't regret them. Pretty much all of those things are diy related.

But if I could tell myself something worth changing, it would be who my dive buddies would be and to plan more diving into my schedule, instead of contenting myself with a 20-dive season. And of course, those two things are related.

Marie13 likes this.
  8. CT-Rich

CT-Rich ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Go to college in area with year round diving.
    Find friend with boat.
    Invest in Apple IPO & Microsoft IPO & Google IPO (Makes all other dive related issues much simpler).

9. Scubagolf

Scubagolf ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Or 50, now 20 years into it.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  10. DBPacific

DBPacific ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Don't be afraid of not being as good a diver as anyone else, do that aquarium volunteering sooner and sign up for the regional dive groups!

chillyinCanada likes this.