What are your favorite easy wreck dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. Some of these have depth range of 70' but say open water.

How far are these from shore? How long is the boat ride?

As @RyanT has mentioned ... short boat rides once the boat reaches the inlet. All of the wrecks I listed are easily within the ability of an open water diver. Sea Experience (Ft. Lauderdale) and South FL Diving HQ (Pompano Beach) regularly hit these wrecks. You will see LOTS of open water divers on their boats.

Quallman Tugs, off Pompano, barely a "wreck dive" more of a grouping of small boats and barges. Drop on the first one, drift across 3 or 4 more, swim out and check out the old sewage outfall pipe (inactive) then drift onto the 3rd reef. Tons of fish, may be a bull shark or 2 on the "wreck field", all with a max depth of about 85' (at the pipe) but average about 60'.

Kittiwake in Grand Cayman is easy, shallow and near the shore - could be done as a shore dive in fact.
I really don't recommend shore diving the Kittiwake. It's 1500 feet from the closest point of entry at Cemetery Beach. That one-way transit alone would take you 20 minutes or so. If you surface swim it, you're really taking a huge chance due to the insane volume of boat and jetski traffic in that area.

Various West Bay dive operators have rescued many divers who have attempted this, and couldn't make it back. Most often divers don't plan for gas correctly, and are forced to surface and swim against the prevailing wind which blows you away from shore. We've actually rescued people on paddle boards who couldn't make it back to shore.

Tony

Thanks @Divetech Cayman Tony

Would you consider doing the Kittiwake with a DPV? I have often wondered what sites off Cayman would practically be available from shore with a DPV. I would imagine that you and your colleagues from Divetech do some diving like that, in addition to the main wall off Lighthouse Point. Seems like Turtle Reef and Cobalt Coast would work and I have read about shore diving Babylon. I have tried to search for such information but have not been successful.

Thanks, Craig

RMS Rhone - BVIs
divebvi.com/rms-rhone/

Captain Keith Tibbetts, Cayman Brac
Adolphus Busch, Big Pine Key FL.
Felipe Xicotencatl, Cozumel
MV Shakum, Grenada. This one is an organic wreck. Load shifted coming into St. Georges Harbor, it was probably overloaded and it was pretty heavy weather. Open cargo space, rolled to port, shipped a bunch of water, bow went under, ship was lost. Sand bottom, if I remember right that would be at 110 feet.

Hilma Hooker is pretty cool. It's an easy shore dive. We've done it enough that we usually swim over it and go to the outer reef.

Hi @FishWatcher747

Did you dive the Duane when you were in Key Largo and did the Spiegel Grove? It's a very nice dive, sometimes the current is very brisk, that can be true of the Spiegel also.

Thanks for the replies. Gives me some fun research to do.

I haven't done the Duane yet. A little concerned of the current and it seems a bit deeper. Since I am getting comfortable with the Spiegel I plan to do that a few more times before I do the Duane. I might do it at the end of my upcoming trip.

I enjoy diving the Russian Frigate sunk off the north shore of Cayman Brac. Bow at 45 feet, stern about 80 ( or vice versa )
DSC06405.jpg

Can be done from shore or boat and nice sand flats and reef nearby.

Thanks @Divetech Cayman Tony

Would you consider doing the Kittiwake with a DPV? I have often wondered what sites off Cayman would practically be available from shore with a DPV. I would imagine that you and your colleagues from Divetech do some diving like that, in addition to the main wall off Lighthouse Point. Seems like Turtle Reef and Cobalt Coast would work and I have read about shore diving Babylon. I have tried to search for such information but have not been successful.

Thanks, Craig
Hi Craig,

You could scooter to the KW if you were good at navigation and knew exactly where you were going. That was one point I glossed over. When you leave from shore, there's no clear indicator of exactly which direction it is. There are people who have successfully dived the Kittiwake from shore, but they are generally very experienced residents or instructors who have dived the area hundreds of times and know the landmarks.

For reference, the outside of the main wall at Lighthouse Point is ~900 feet from the dock. We dive the main wall from shore all the time, and at a reasonable swimming pace it takes me 15 minutes from the dock to the large peaks of the main wall. The distance from Cobalt's dock to the main wall is about 1200 feet. I've never shore dived Babylon, but the DOE GPS numbers show the mooring is 1200 feet from shore. Same with the Russian destroyer in the Brac, it's 1000 feet from shore.

Scooters do open up some sites you don't normally see which is great. One thing we do is scooter from Lighthouse Point to Macabuca and back, which takes 30 minutes each way. Unfortunately we don't allow them off site unless with a staff member, to mitigate loss or damage to them.

All interesting stuff, but off-topic. To the OP, I lived in Fort Lauderdale for 11 years, and there are too many wreck sites to count up and down the South Florida coast. South Florida diving is largely underrated IMO. Your original question didn't seem to to limit these sites to shore diving, for Cayman, I'dd add in the Doc Polson which is tiny but very colorful, the Oro Verde is mostly wreckage but has good marine life encounters, and the Balboa is pretty cool if you can get on it. If you go to the Brac, the Russian Destroyer is 100% worth doing.

The 3 deaths on the Vandenburg since August is giving me a little pause.
This is likely a statistical anomaly. When I worked on the Spree we dived the Vandy every Sunday. Sometimes it has quite a bit of current, but tens of thousands of persons have dived it without incident over the years. Be careful and conservative and you'll be just fine.

I looked at the Oriskany off Pensacola Fl, but it is 20 miles offshore and doesn't seem worth it if you're not diving doubles. That is a long day for a 30 minute dive on a single tank.
Oriskany is a great dive if you do it as an advanced nitrox dive IMO. Again, on the Spree we did a few trips to the Mighty O where we camped out on top of it for 3 or 4 days. The most fun I had was scootering the entire length of the hanger deck on rebreather.

The problem as I see it with the Oriskany though is, the flight deck is at 140ish if memory serves, which has all the appeal of diving a parking log. So without tech diving, all you can dive is the island structure. It's small and 1/3rd of it is collapsed, so not a heck of a lot to see after a 30 mile trip out there.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom