What are your reasons for taking up SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Started diving because my good friend (bestfriend?) thought I'd like it because I swim so much inspite of or because of my fear of the ocean. He signed me up for an intro dive, I liked it; a lot. Now all I need is to find the time to dive again.

I got a wee bit tipsy at an auction one night and bought a trip to Australia. My irritated husband said, on the way home, "If we are going to Australia, now you have GOT to learn to dive." So I did.

And I went DIR because I don't enjoy something thoroughly unless I can make it difficult and frustrating.

When I arrived in Indonesia, it was obviously something to try. Otherwise, my life out of work would have been only made of endless social occasions and meaningless conversations with bored foreigners. Now at least, we talk for hours about something I love! It makes me wait quietly for the next dive.

Had a very stressful month at work that ended up with parting with my biggest client. The future was uncertain since a lot was put at stake for that job and what better thing to do then go to Greece on a vacation!

Up to then I had been interested in diving, but never made a first step. My fiance said it was something she definitely wanted to try. We've discovered some locals offering PADI discovery dives and decided to go for it!

I've described my first time in this thread. It was great fun!

But, only after having been diving in the Red Sea do I consider it to be one of the greatest experiences ever in my life. The one you tell your grandkids about over and over. :D

TSandM:
I don't enjoy something thoroughly unless I can make it difficult and frustrating.
:lol:

Went on vacation to Bermuda a couple of years ago and snorkeled over the reefs -- Some of them, right from shore. I got back and was telling a diving friend of mine about how cool snorkeling was and how much I'd enjoyed it. She said, You need to get scuba certified. I was mystified. Why would I want to do that, when I could see everything just by snorkeling. She explained it like this: Snorkeling is like watching something on TV. Scuba diving is like being in the scene!

She was right. Since then, I've found a bunch of other reasons why I love to dive, but this is what initially attracted me.

I drowned as a teen and at age 47 had to overcome my fear of deep water.
Thanks to my instructor I've not only done that,but have beat my my original underwater record by over 30 hrs!

My father was a diver long before I was born, and I grew up wanting to be a diver myself, so when I was old enough I got me cert. And Im glade I did considering im studying to be an archaeologist, and hoping to do a masters in maritime archaeology.

Heres one for the books I (USED) to be a tournament angler fishing for bass (was) my passion and done quite well at it. Then I had this idea 5 years ago to start diving lakes in my four state area locating larger bass for up coming tournaments. By the way nothing against the rules in doing that. Not a good move for my fishing oh it helped my fishing a little but soon I found myself going to Cozumel or somewhere else instead of a tournament. Well by now you have figured out that I sold my bass boat and now own a pontoon boat and a deck boat set up for diving and my fishing is done with a speargun. have seen and dove places I would never imagined I would. I have but one regret that is I wish I would have though of diving for bass a long time before I did. Life is good do all you can do and do it where you can look back and smile.
Have a great day
Richard

Like many of you, I've wanted to learn to dive since I was a kid. There was a series of books called "Choose Your Own Adventure" that I loved, and there was one about diving that I read over and over. I used to watch Jacques Cousteau shows on TV whenever they came on, and New England Aquarium was one of my favorite places to go as a kid (it still is). From the first time I took a breath underwater, I was hooked. My avatar is a picture someone took after my first OW dive in the BVI - I think my face says it all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom