What are your reasons for taking up SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LLoyd Nelson
Am I dating myself, How in the world could somebody cut an air hose and sleep at night???

Too much discovery channel, too many GI Joes, and too many Lego sets in the form of submarines. My uncle is a PADI OWSI, he invited me to go to the bahamas with them shortly after my 13th birthday, my cousin is about a year younger than me, so he figured we'd make good dive partners and keep each other out of his hair on the surface. My parents rejected the offer without informing me, I later found out and convinced my dad to get certified with me :D

Another vote for the recently became single reason. A five year relationship ended and I suddenly found myself with a lot of time and money on my hands. My friend was really into diving and it didn't take much for him to convince me to try it as it always intrigued me. In many ways the "new woman" is almost as demanding as the old. She's draining my wallet dry, I can't drink as much, and she'll probably be the death of me.

I watched "Sea Hunt" when I was 4 or 5. In 1967, when I was 9, my family went on a cruise and the ship had diving in the pool. Then, in 1985, on another cruise, I spent time with a lady from Pennsylvania who was a diver. I figured if a lady from Pennsylvania could dive, I, being from SoCal, having been raised on boats, owning a boat and always being around the water, had better resume diving. During a particularly stressful time at work, I decided going swimming in the pool every week (NAUI training) would be relaxing...so I got certified. Then after a dive while on yet another cruise, my kid announced he wanted to get certified and dive with me. Life is good.

well i have alot of reasons for takin up scuba, one my dad dives and its OUR thing we do together so thats kool, two i love the marine world and i wanted to see it for myself, three i want to become a marine biologist after i graduate college, four its a thing that none of my other friends do...its kinda definds me alittle bit and i like the fact that my friends like to ask me about it. so yea there are some reasons why

:butnhome:

Skydiving seemed boring.

My husband retired and wanted to move to florida. I told him I would miss him. In an attempt to try to get me to visit he said " try this scuba thing, it doesn't involve old people in plaid shorts with patent leather belts or early bird specials" There is not a piece of gear I can't have as long as I buy it in Florida

The man was desparate, smart.... but desparate.

Mike Nelson !!
The world is 7/10 water !!
The paridox of water being nessary for life, and being a leading cause of death....
Rock Bueaties.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom