What are your salaries as a DM or OWSI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I arrived in Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea, it's been low season and i've been making between 800-1000 euros a month. When I was in Vietnam I was making $325 + 10% commission on sales + free room in a staff house. Worked out at about $450 cash in hand a month.

The old line about making money in the scuba industry is if you want to make a million bucks on the scuba industry..start out with two million bucks...

Plus..as many of us know...PADI stands for Put Another Dollar In...!!!

DM = Indentured servitude

CJ Waid:
I'm not even a DM yet, but I am going to be an instructor by the end of the summer.......

if you can make $50 a day as a DM with someone HANDING your clients, then you should be able to make $1,000 a day with a GOOD effort.

I'd love to hear the numbers behind $1000 a day as a DM.

Let's see, if you OWN the Dive OP, and can do 20 divers per trip at $75 each running trips both in the AM and PM (very optimistic) you are making some serious $$$ at $3000 a day. However that assumes a nice expensive dive boat, slip costs, insurance, tanks, gear, gas, staff costs, advertising expenses...etc...etc..

That daily wage is likely cut down to maybe five hundred a day to live on, but that is certainly a good wage. However like so many have said before, that is for the OWNER of a DiveOP. Instructors and DM's don't see nearly as much.

In Coz which is likely one of the few places where DM is a living, our DM's generally made about $5 a tank per diver in tips. This assumes US divers as some foreign divers do NOT tip. On a six pack running two trips a day (a long day for a DM) they were banking $120 a day. Now divide that in two as the Captain get's half.... Granted they get paid by the DiveOp as well, but I don't think it's all that much.

The extra $950/day he's going to make by selling crack to anyone on the island that will buy it...Divemaster? Salary? Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa...don't you just love these kids with their dreams?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom