What are your top 5 dive sites in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Infantry_169

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I apologize in advance if I missed this topic elsewhere. I did try the search function. So sorry if I am :deadhorse:

I. What are your top 5 dives/dive sites in Cozumel ?

II. And how would you rate them in terms of experience level:

1) Novice/New diver :newbie:
2) Intermediate :bounce:
3) Advanced. :idhitit:
4) Ready for prime time .... :showtime:

I apologize in advance if I missed this topic elsewhere. I did try the search function. So sorry if I am :deadhorse:

I. What are your top 5 dives/dive sites in Cozumel ?

II. And how would you rate them in terms of experience level:

1) Novice/New diver :newbie:
2) Intermediate :bounce:
3) Advanced. :idhitit:
4) Ready for prime time .... :showtime:

With only a FEW exceptions - all of our dive sites are suitable and very enjoyable for all levels. Don't worry, there truly is not a bad dive in Cozumel - particular for those who have never been here - it's all new, it's all exciting, and it's all good for your experience level. As far as getting to the "advanced sites", your DM will determine if you're ready for certain sites after he sees you in the water for a couple of days - we all want you to have a great time - but we also want to keep you safe and diving within your abilities.

You'll get to all of the Palancar sites, probably Columbia, Santa Rosa, Cedral, etc. etc. You'll be well taken care of and remember and we're going to take you on the best dives possible for any given day with all of the variables that have to be considered each day for site selection - including weather, other divers on the boat, currents, visibility, etc. etc.

With only a FEW exceptions - all of our dive sites are suitable and very enjoyable for all levels. Don't worry, there truly is not a bad dive in Cozumel - particular for those who have never been here - it's all new, it's all exciting, and it's all good for your experience level. As far as getting to the advanced sites, your DM will determine if you're ready for certain sites after he sees you in the water for a couple of days.

You'll get to all of the Palancar sites, probably Columbia, Santa Rosa, Cedral, etc. etc. You'll be well taken care of and remember and we're going to take you on the best dives possible for any given day with all of the variables that have to be considered each day for site selection - including weather, other divers on the boat, currents, visibility, etc. etc.

Good answer Christi

Here's my list

Barracuda,San Juan - need to have your act together
Punta Tunich
Palancar Deep
Punta Sur
Maracaibo - need to have your act together

Good answer Christi

Here's my list

Barracuda,San Juan - need to have your act together
Punta Tunich
Palancar Deep
Punta Sur
Maracaibo - need to have your act together

Thanks - I see that three of your favorites are the "traditional" been there, done those and have the t-shirt sites - which are all nice, but IMO are far from the best dives here, but to each is own.

Palancar Deep? Palancar reef spans over four dive sites - all starting at 30 to 40ish feet and go into the abyss:

Palancar Gardens
Palancar Caves
Palancar Horseshoe
Palancar Bricks

Punta Sur is also technically Palancar reef

Hard for me to pick favorites, because it depends on the day and what my dive objectives are. I like different reefs for different reasons.

Maracaibo and Maracaibo shallows are my favorites because they are so pristine. I'd also put San Juan in that category.

I personally find Devil's Throat WAY overrated - although I love diving Punta Sur reef sans the throat.

Tunich NEVER disappoints nor does Columbia (shallows, normal or deep).

Another that I really enjoy that never gets any attention is Chankanaab Bolones.

My first dive in Cozumel right after certification was Santa Rosa Wall. No matter what sight they take you to, your mask will be filled with huge eyes. I would have to say that I favored Columbia the most though. You must do at least one night dive. I would prefer to dive every night. Enjoy.

One of my all time favorite dive mornings would be at Barracuda and San Juan. Cedral Wall and all the Palancars are incredible as well. As a matter of fact, can't think of any site that I would not like to dive again and again. I have to agree that Devils Throat is a bit overrated. You choose a very experienced and well thought of OP to dive with. They will take good care of you. Enjoy your trip!

With only a FEW exceptions - all of our dive sites are suitable and very enjoyable for all levels. Don't worry, there truly is not a bad dive in Cozumel - particular for those who have never been here - it's all new, it's all exciting, and it's all good for your experience level. As far as getting to the "advanced sites", your DM will determine if you're ready for certain sites after he sees you in the water for a couple of days - we all want you to have a great time - but we also want to keep you safe and diving within your abilities.

I was just curious to people's opinions, likes/dislikes, pro's/con's. My second dive in my whole life was in the Long Island Sound and in visual terms it was like the surface of the moon, I saw a flounder and a horseshoe crab. In other words very bland and unexciting. However, I was DIVING and I was very happy. I have a scientific background so I tend to want to quantify and categorize things. :dork2: ... I have every expectation that it is going to be the time of my life, no matter where I dive. But if I can pick your brains, and get some names then I am going to Google and Youtube to my hearts content!!!!!!!!!!!!

So throw me a bone people ...:ss: let me live vicariously through your suggestions while I suffer in the cold here in New York. :storm:

:rofl:

Thanks Christi as always an accurate and informative reply.
My favourite dive on my last trip recently was Punta Tunich! Unbelievable fish #'s coral. huge fish ,turtles , shark etc, the only thing missing was a squadron of eagle rays. As you know each dive even at the same reef can provide a completely different experience.

Enjoyed Santa Rosa wall the most as it had the most variety for a given group of divers. Wall/corals/sea life/swim ins, (don't really care for the swim throughs). Columbia deep, Palancar bricks and Baracuda (deep wall) were also fine for me. Not interested in DT.
Heck every dive is different and although most people didn't care for Tormentos, I liked it.

Tough call...

If I had to pick:

Palancar Caves
Columbia Deep
Baracuda
Palancar Gardens
Punta Sur

For second dives (just as much fun, but for fish life more than the reef):
Punta Tunich
La Francesa
San Juan
Delila

It's amazing how light and visibilty can transform a site from one day to the next.

No bad dives in Coz. Just some that you enjoy more than others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom