What backplate and wing are you using for singles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What were the DGX and Piranha BPs made of? Did the LP plate just wear out or dissolve completely?

the lp plate has some weird surface staining/corrosion that i haven't seen on my other plates. haven't had the same issue with the dgx plate and oms plate that are both passivated. pretty sure those are also 304.

I got my Blue Reef SS BP from LP in May, 2016. So, I've had it well over a year and done a decent # of salt water dives with it, plus a bunch more quarry and pool dives. This is what it looks like right now. I only give it a decent fresh water dunk after salt water dive weekends. Otherwise, just hang it up to dry when I get home.

2017-09-20 13.39.31.jpg 2017-09-20 13.40.18.jpg

I am 6'1" and almost in between sizes. Do I go with the medium or large?

I am also 6' 1". I have a Large DSS SS BP and a Medium DSS Kydex BP. I have used the SS for single and double tank. I have used the Kydex only for doubles. I don't notice any difference between them when in use (other than the weight, of course).

I have just scored a Freedom Contour back plate. Once that arrives, it and my HOG 23 # wing will become my exclusive single tank rig and my DSS SS BP (with bolt-on weight plates) will be up for sale. I sold the DSS wing I had a year or so ago. Not long after I got the HOG wing.

I don't see much mention of Hollis. What is the reason?

Price isn't as low as the budget brands and the quality is not as high as the top tier. Just not great value for money unless if you get a discount. I have a Hollis doubles setup, but I only bought it because it was heavily discounted.

^what he said. everything imported for higher prices than you can get domestic brands with higher quality. Better customer service from just about everyone else to boot. Hollis is notorious for terrible CS until you get Nick involved directly

Scubapro BP & harness.

Wing is IST Frog 40lb. Originally bought with a doubles wing (sold what the shop wanted to get rid off obviously instead of what I needed but I was too new to know that at the time) but changed out for something better soon after. Decided that due to my size I probably have more wetsuit to compress (or loss of air in drysuit) than most so allow for that compression with a bigger wing. Could I have gotten by with a 30? Probably.

Thinking about a small wing for travel though - Red Sea trips with a 3mm wetsuit or shorts & rash don't really need 40lb of lift!

I have the opportunity to speak with 1-3 newer divers everyday. Frequently these discussion center on wing selection.

A fair percentage are initially convinced that they must have a large wing to be "safe"

Often they quote the lift capacity of their current BC, "My XXPro has a 55lbs bladder etc."

"Can I really use a 20 lbs lift wing?!!" etc. etc.

Some I reach with math, for others I've found it useful to point out that in the opening days of scuba BC's were largely unknown and *somehow* these divers managed to make it work.

Yup, divers used (and some continue to use) *zero* lift and the question I get is "do I need a 35 or 44 lbs of lift???"

I'm not advocating less lift than the application requires, but it helps to keep things in perspective.

Tobin

Some I reach with math, for others I've found it useful to point out that in the opening days of scuba BC's were largely unknown and *somehow* these divers managed to make it work.

What he said.

My dad dived double steel 72s in a wetsuit, as deep as 200', for years "back in the day". He never had any kind of BCD at all. Just very careful weighting and good breath control.

I'm definitely NOT suggesting people should dive with no BCD. But, these BCDs with huge wings are kind of ridiculous ... unless you're diving for exercise instead of fun...

What he said.

My dad dived double steel 72s in a wetsuit, as deep as 200', for years "back in the day". He never had any kind of BCD at all. Just very careful weighting and good breath control.

I'm definitely NOT suggesting people should dive with no BCD. But, these BCDs with huge wings are kind of ridiculous ... unless you're diving for exercise instead of fun...

Alec Peirce did a great video on that back in the day about how they would weight themselves for certain depths and use rocks and what not to help them make the initial descent, then pick them back up as they were coming back up. Can't remember which vintage scuba video it was, but it's in there somewhere

I don't see much mention of Hollis. What is the reason?
Ive had 1 hollis wing and many, many others............the Hollis was big and "flappy", never felt right underwater.........sold it after several dives.

Price isn't as low as the budget brands and the quality is not as high as the top tier. Just not great value for money unless if you get a discount. I have a Hollis doubles setup, but I only bought it because it was heavily discounted.
Would you dare rank them out? I'm not sure who falls into the "top tier" ranking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom