What BP/W for a petite diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the "hogarthian" strap GUE acceptable since I'll be taking the GUE training in 2015?

---------- Post added December 28th, 2014 at 05:07 PM ----------

I'm 5'2" and 125 lbs. In September of this year (thanks to Tobin), I started diving with a small Deep Sea Supply stainless steel backplate/30 lb. wing set up. The total weight for the backplate/wing and harness is a little over 4 lbs. (negative) in fresh water. With an HP 100 (steel tank), the setup is amazingly stable, as compared to the BCD that I started with. Lately most of my diving has been in a drysuit. The straps on the backplate are not padded, but they feel fine. Honestly, I just don't notice the straps at all while I'm diving or hauling my tank around. I just notice how stable and balanced my whole rig is when I'm diving.

My left shoulder has rotator cuff issues, so I opted for the glide harness adapter with the DSS backplate. This allows the right side shoulder strap to be easily loosened and then re-tightened during donning and doffing. I put my left shoulder in the rig first, my right shoulder second and then pull right side waist strap to tighten the right shoulder strap. It seems like you could use the glide harness adapter on either side of the backplate, depending on which shoulder has mobility issues.

I really can't say enough good things about the DSS setup. No STA is needed, it's easy to remove the wing for cleaning and drying, and it's easy to put a smaller DSS wing on for warmer weather diving.

Thankyou for your thoughts as well....I must be 100% certain that everything is 100% GUE standard configuration....I don't want to get thrown out of class the first day... I do at least 50 dives a year and maybe 6 are warm water so this rig will be a cold water setup. I'm glad to hear you didnt' notice your straps.....so there wasn't any slippage since there isn't a chest clip? ( located over our floaty bits)

---------- Post added December 28th, 2014 at 05:12 PM ----------

Looking at DSS this seems to be the flow chart (I haven't looked at Halcyon yet, and I'll talk to Tobin @ DSS next week): Single tank rig-Profit Stainless steel-medium-hogarthian--LCD SST w/30 mil bladder...

Sounds like I don't want the Kydex, but I do want steel

Remember there is an aluminum backplate as well that is about 1/3 the weight of the steel bp. But if you're wearing a drysuit and doubles most of the time, you'll probably appreciate the steel and might not mind flying once in a while with it.

I too was worried about not having a chest strap, since the BCD that I was previously using had one. But, I haven't noticed not having one. It seems like having a crotch strap really stabilizes everything. My shoulder straps are actually quite loose.

Is the "hogarthian" strap GUE acceptable since I'll be taking the GUE training in 2015?

Do you have your GUE Instructor chosen yet? If so, you should run any gear purchases by them first, and they'll advise you on whether they meet the standard. If you don't have your instructor lined up, you might want to wait until you can ask a GUE instructor.

You have to have a one-piece continuous webbing to meet the GUE equipment standard. Have you looked at the equipment standards yet? I can dig them up for you if you'd like.

The difference between the DSS and H plates are primarily the angle of the bend. Halcyon is oriented primarily for doubles use so it has a bit more of a bend to it. The DSS plate was actually designed primarily for singles so he flattened it out a bit to make it better for singles. It's personal preference. Dive Rite plates are somewhere in the middle.

If the chest strap type doesn't excite you, just pad the one piece harness with neoprene for $15. If fitted right there is actually a surprising amount of give in the one piece harnesses. Check on the classifieds here, they come up every once in a while, but nothing has come up here in quite a while

Remember there is an aluminum backplate as well that is about 1/3 the weight of the steel bp. But if you're wearing a drysuit and doubles most of the time, you'll probably appreciate the steel and might not mind flying once in a while with it.

Ayisha I'm only a single tank diver and can say firmly I will never be a doubles diver. I do have an instructor via a friend...no names or contact info exchanged yet...but she's a boat captain and knows me well...I follow what you say on getting the info via the instructor. It is presently 24 degrees where I'm at...to cold for me to dive. I wanted to use this time for research and decision and then come to class with at least 20 dives.... I like to be as prepared as possible.....

30 and 40 lb lift capacity are available....40 is for certain, can I get away with 30 or is that cutting it to close? (135-137lbs drysuit diver)

---------- Post added December 28th, 2014 at 06:47 PM ----------

The difference between the DSS and H plates are primarily the angle of the bend. Halcyon is oriented primarily for doubles use so it has a bit more of a bend to it. The DSS plate was actually designed primarily for singles so he flattened it out a bit to make it better for singles. It's personal preference. Dive Rite plates are somewhere in the middle.

If the chest strap type doesn't excite you, just pad the one piece harness with neoprene for $15. If fitted right there is actually a surprising amount of give in the one piece harnesses. Check on the classifieds here, they come up every once in a while, but nothing has come up here in quite a while

Bingo...absolutely!! Being that it's flattened out, does it knock into the ladies (shorter statuted person) behind? That's the one thing about aluminum tanks I detest...and their floaty tendency...

Anything Tobin sells you will be GUE compliant, and if you buy new from Dive Gear Express or Dive Right in Scuba they will have GUE compliant rigs. Tobin will also be able to advise you on the lift you'll be needing. I'd aim for 30-35lbs or so.

DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
That is GUE compliant as is so long as you keep the Light Monkey DIR harness. This is all but identical to the Halcyon Eclipse system

https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/pkg_metal.shtml
First one there is GUE compliant as well, though they will recommend an STA with that wing and it may be too small at 25lbs of lift.

Flattened out won't have anything to do with the ladies, just moves the tank a bit closer to your back and distributes the weight differently.

Yes, you have the selections at DSS correct.

Ayisha I'm only a single tank diver and can say firmly I will never be a doubles diver. I do have an instructor via a friend...no names or contact info exchanged yet...but she's a boat captain and knows me well...I follow what you say on getting the info via the instructor. It is presently 24 degrees where I'm at...to cold for me to dive. I wanted to use this time for research and decision and then come to class with at least 20 dives.... I like to be as prepared as possible.....

30 and 40 lb lift capacity are available....40 is for certain, can I get away with 30 or is that cutting it to close? (135-137lbs drysuit diver)

---------- Post added December 28th, 2014 at 06:47 PM ----------

Bingo...absolutely!! Being that it's flattened out, does it knock into the ladies (shorter statuted person) behind? That's the one thing about aluminum tanks I detest...and their floaty tendency...

I'm a singles diver as well. The usual recommendation is a wing with 30 lbs lift for singles; for doubles, a wing with 40 lbs lift. So 30 lbs is all you need with a single tank. I have the Halcyon Eclipse 30 lb wing. I don't know the DSS products well, so I can't speak for them. TSandM and katenpatl are also GUE trained and know very well. :)

If the bp is the right size and fitted correctly for you, it should not be over your bum, it will go no lower than your waist, otherwise, the bp will not sit flat against your back. It may also be uncomfortable. Fit is everything!

The equipment standards are here, that should help: https://www.globalunderwaterexplorers.org/files/Standards_and_Procedures/GUE_Standards_v7.pdf

In 2015 I'll be switching from a bcd to a BP/w.

I'm essentially just beginning my research. I've got to admit when I started diving in the late 1970's I used a style/type of bpw and a weight belt at that time. I had a very long surface interval and re-certified in 2008 and have over 200 dives of bcd experience in the last few years, but it's time for a change. I'm petite 5'3" 136 pounds and dive my steel 80 or 100hp's along with a drysuit and all the other necessary crap to keep me happy. I've had two shoulder surgeries on my right shoulder so I tend to keep an eye on how far I need to schlep my kit to the dive site on my back.

I do travel with all my gear sans weights and tank via airplane occasionally to California or Hawaii so weight is an issue and no thankyou, I won't rent anything.

Ladies....please let me have all your years of experience and advice!!

Not a lady but selling to ladies :)

Most of the advice you received so far is spot on. Since you are from Spokane, if you happen to be in Seattle, you can come check out the DSS Stainless steel (sorry, no kydex yet!) plates with and without padding, with hogarthian or comfort harnesses, with or without bolt on weigh - we stock them in their various sizes and allow customers to try different configurations in the pool before buying (Tue\Thu evening during January\June 2015).

One of my customers in approx your size just picked a short one with a comfort harness after testing a few.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom