What brand reg is cheapest to service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
It seems foolish to buy a regulator and not consider the cost of maintenance. For those of you familiar with how reg service goes, what brands of regulator have the cheapest maintenance? Other things to consider are the conditions imposed on the warrantee, if the policy hold for all models of that brand and is the warrantee voided if the reg is bought from an unauthorized dealer.

I bought a cheap Mares, screwed up the warrantee and now pay $60 for service. I'd like my dive buddy to avoid this wicked fate.

(also, if this discussion could focus on the affordable recreational regs i'd like that)

Iwould say "Aqualung" as the least expensive, "Scubapro" most expensive

This all depends on if you have a warranty from the manufacturer.

Apeks, and Scubapro both would be cheap if you had a warranty. You wouldnt be paying for service kits every year, just labor...

Now, warranty aside, lets say you pay for all parts: I would say SHERWOOD would be hands down the cheapest.

I would have to say MARES would be at the top of the list for expense. HP seat is like $25, and 1st stage kits are $19, and that does NOT include the HP seat. Poseidons are actually CHEAPER than MARES to overhaul...

I have to say, if you are really looking at the initial PRICE only of a reg, and then price of service, I would have to say, go with the SHERWOOD magnum regulator. Its not a high performance reg, but depends on what kind of diving you are doing if it would be OK for you...

DiverAnderson once bubbled...
It seems foolish to buy a regulator and not consider the cost of maintenance. For those of you familiar with how reg service goes, what brands of regulator have the cheapest maintenance? Other things to consider are the conditions imposed on the warrantee, if the policy hold for all models of that brand and is the warrantee voided if the reg is bought from an unauthorized dealer.

I bought a cheap Mares, screwed up the warrantee and now pay $60 for service. I'd like my dive buddy to avoid this wicked fate.

(also, if this discussion could focus on the affordable recreational regs i'd like that)

Im terms of parts kits the cheapest I've come across is Sherwood. It's somewhere around $8 for the first and second stage kits.

Probably Sherwood...Most people want something a little nicer though.

With ScubaPro and some of the other major companies, you only pay for labor if you service them EVERY year.

Sherwood Regulators are far and away the most inexpensive and (arguably) the eastiest to service on the market today.

There are fewer pieces in the entire service kit for 1st and 2nd stage both than in most any other manufacturer's kits for either the 1st OR the 2nd stages.

The above comment about wanting a 'nicer' piece of equipment is also an arguable opinion. Common, but arguable once you know more about the actual workings of regulators.

Granted, most all manufacturers offer more 'bells and whistles' on their gear. Adjustable this. Balanced that. Swivel here or there. Dive-predive switch. You name it, everybody (including Sherwood) has thought of it. The idea is to give the consumer the perception that 'Our Toys are the best, most convenient, yada, yada, yada' for you on the market.

To me, the "nicest" piece of gear I can get is the one that is going to work 100% of the time the way the manufacturer said it was going to. Breaths nice at all depths, whether I'm sitting still taking pictures of a shy little Gobi who doesn't want his picture taken, working with a class, or working against a bit of a current. Shallow or deep. At the beginning of my dive, or at the end of my tank of air. That's a nice piece of gear.

Any piece of gear that breaths well, and saves me some money both in terms of it's future service and maintenance costs, and it's over all initial retail price, is even a nicer piece of gear

Made in the 100% in the USA? Okay.... well, I am American, and for me in this day and age, with being patriotic coming to the forefront of our lives, that's another good thing for me.

Lots of manufacturers can claim parts of that. Some can claim most of it, but due to the engineering involved... Patented technology that nobody else has, and where the gear is made, nobody but Sherwood can claim ALL that.

To me, that's a darn nice piece of gear.

And, NO. Not trying to begin a flame contest. LOL Just offering my own opinion along with everybody elses.

Have a great weekend all!

Please forgive my typos above. I really gotta quit trying to type and answer the phone at the same time!

:rolleyes:

Are you saying that Sherwood regulators are manufactured in the US?

Yes.

Sherwood Regulators are manufactured in the United States.

In general the adage buy cheap buy twice holds. Don't buy a cheap regulator. Its life support equipment. Buy something that lasts.

Back
Top Bottom