What browser do YOU use (mostly) and why?

What browser

• Fire Fox

Votes: 58 65.9%
  • Interner Explorer

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Opera

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Safari

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • other

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IE. It's what we have to use at work, so it's on my laptop. As far as my two home computers, they came with IE so I've stayed with it. It's not high on my list of things I worry about so why change?

The Poll results are interesting. Since I can tell you that statistically our users use:

1 Internet Explorer 61.70%
2 Firefox 29.89%
3 Safari 6.86%
4 Opera 0.93%

Oh... i use IE - because I have since it came out.
This is a good object lesson on the selection bias common in ScubaBoard threads. Pretend for a moment that Internet Explorer is a vest-style BC and Firefox is a BP/W. For whatever reason, users of Firefox are more inclined to tell the world about it--perhaps they deem themselves more knowledgeable or avant-garde because of it--and before you know it, it seems like the whole world dives a BP/W.

Last edited:
I use:

telnet www.hostname.com 80

as God intended. :D

Terry

telnet? right, take the easy way. :no

I prefer:

Code:
import java.io.BufferedReader;
import java.io.IOException;
import java.io.InputStreamReader;
import java.net.MalformedURLException;
import java.net.URL;
import java.net.URLConnection;
import java.util.Map;
import java.util.logging.Level;
import java.util.logging.Logger;

public class WebBrowser {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        try {
            URL url = new URL(args[0]);
            URLConnection wb = url.openConnection();
            Map hf = wb.getHeaderFields();
            System.out.println("HEAD: " + hf);
            System.out.print("BODY: ");
            BufferedReader body = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(wb.getInputStream()));
            while(body.ready()) {
                System.out.println(body.readLine());
            }
        } catch (MalformedURLException ex) {
            Logger.getLogger(WebBrowser.class.getName()).log(Level.SEVERE, null, ex);
        } catch (IOException ex) {
                Logger.getLogger(WebBrowser.class.getName()).log(Level.SEVERE, null, ex);
        }
    }

}
:D

Don't know what He intended,but that link doesn't work :D

300bar,

If you go to an MSDOS Prompt and enter:

Code:
    telnet www.quest.com 80
    get / HTTP/1.1
    Host: www.quest.com

You won't actually see the get or Host: text so you have to be sure you typed it correctly. Press return twice after the last line and the source code for www.quest.com will appear. That is, if you go to www.quest.com in your browser, view source code you will see the same thing. Terry is just being a cheeky-monkey and using an old hacker tricker to avoid some web site sending you a virus. You can also use this to fake who you are. Typically, when you go to a website, your browser is telling them a LOT about you. Using telnet means you are in control of what you tell them. It's old school stuph.

At work, they have me using FireFox because they say most viruses are targeted towards Internet Explorer. I don't know if that's true but I haven't getten hit at work since then.

At home, hubby, whose an absolute computer whiz, takes care of our network and has us on IE. He takes care of all the security, virus protection, firewalls and such.

He also fixes all of our friends computers that get messed up with viruses.

This is a good object lesson on the selection bias common in ScubaBoard threads. Pretend for a moment that Internet Explorer is a vest-style BC and Firefox is a BP/W. For whatever reason, users of Firefox are more inclined to tell the world about it--perhaps they deem themselves more knowledgeable or avant-garde because of it--and before you know it, it seems like the whole world dives a BP/W.

OTOH... The stats I showed do not take into account members or visitors... just total visits to the site... Visitors can't vote so it is possible that more members user FF??

I used IE for many years. Tried firefox & liked it better. IE added features to compete & it's what we use at work, but I still like FF better & it's what I use at home. 3.0 seems to be faster than 2.0 was.

It really depends on what I'm doing and what platform I'm working on. But, to keep it short, I have both Firefox and Safari up on a daily basis and they are my default web browsers. My main platform is Mac.

I do my best to avoid IE at all costs! :D

:zen:

Back
Top Bottom