What can or does your LDS need to do to EARN your business?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colo_diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I ask this as a LDS. With so many people shoping at the on-line stores, how can one compete. We are an Aqualung Dealer as well as many other brands and we stock all of the new and current product offering. Having a well stocked and fairly price innventory doesn't appear to matter to the buying public. Having Master Techs on staff to service your regualtors doesn't matter.

What matters I ask? How can we EARN your business?

I do appreciate all answers and a constructive discussion.

Thanks

Order stuff in when I ask for it, this drives me nuts, if you don't think I don't want it, then ask for a deposit, I'm waiting for you to ask me for a deposit, the money is burning a hole in my pocket....I call asking for it, and you've never ordered it.

Take me seriously as a female buyer. I asked for a 6 lbs X brand backplate. I wanted it. I got it online.

I don't know about your store, but just about every LDS I've encountered had the "salesperson" who has the attention span of an ADD child.

Be ontop of what's new....and on trend...not just what your manufacturers say is...I had to order wetnotes online, I had to order dss boots online and just about everyone who sees these two items wants to buy them right now.

Well, in any sales and service industry, attitude is key. Example: my LDS owner is a Navy diver vet with 30+ yrs of experience but he isn't much of a people person. Him and myself get along great because I was raised around people with very little sense of humor. I also hear of shop owners wanting 'do it my way or do it elsewhere' in terms of equipment purchases and what not. That isn't acceptable. ANYONE in this market would be silly to refuse a sale.

So basically have a fair priced inventory, keep a thumb on what your customers want, and have a good attitude.

On a side note and maybe this is just me, if I just purchased a $350 wetsuit from you (example), why not give me my next one tank fill for free? If I am spending a big amount of money on highly marked up merch, a $3 fill (or eqv) isn't going to hurt.

The main reason I switched from the shop I trained at to the shop I use now was attitude. The owner simply didn't get that I was the customer and without me (and others) he had no customers. I look for a friendly greeting when I walk in the door. If you're with a customer or working on gear or on the phone, at least acknowledge I'm there. Be ready with suggestions, but don't bully me into what you think I should like. Help me find dive buddies if I need them. If you stock multiple brands, show them ALL to me, not just the ones with the biggest mark-up and give me the real pros and cons as you see them. I will always give my LDS the opportunity to make a sale, but I refuse to pay top dollar when I can find it online. I'm willing to pay a little more at the LDS, but expect that you'll work with me.
Hope this wasn't to much of a rant, and it's just my two cents...

TKD, you walk in this shop and want to order something, I promise my wife and business partner will be happy to take your payment and order anything you want. We try to have the current and latest items. Sometimes a diver will bring something to our attention. We try and stay current on everything after all in is my job

DiverDad, I am always happy to give a "earned" fill. Heck this last weekend we had a local dive and I even put all the tanks and weights in my truck and bring them to the dive site as well as any rented gear. And I rinse that gear after.

Star, thanks for your input. I try to show everything, even what is on sale. AND if you come in from an online source, I may not be able to match it, but I will do what I can. Buy a gear package and we set it up and walk you through how everything works and where it is and we give you a free tank to take it to the pool (until I can offered my own pool) to check it all out.

Last edited:
Well, you're hosed.

You can't compete price-wise. What you have to do is show that the difference in price between the online price and what you're charging is worth my dollar. Okay, not MY dollar, because I'm not going to go to Western Colorado for a dive no matter how cheap you make it. There are divers out there, I assume, unless you're running a dive shop in a mountain range and in that case you should move.

What do you have a lock on? Training, air, service, warranty work, and local knowledge. Do you have drop-in dives that your store hosts? Can you charge a few bucks for that if it includes air? $10 for a drop-in dive, a donut, and full tanks at the end. What classes can you offer that people can't get online? Are there specialized lines of equipment that you could carry?

What's your warranty and exchange like?

Don't bother stocking things that people get online for next-to-nothing. They'll come in, try it on, wear it out, and then buy it online. If the online stuff is made with lower-grade components, let the buyers know. Also, if they do get something online, make sure you tell them you're happy to service the gear locally.

DiverDad, I am always happy to give a "earned" fill. Heck this last weekend we had a local dive and I even put all the tanks and weights in my truck and bring them to the dive site as well as any rented gear. And I rinse that gear after.

See that puts you a cut above anyone else. I know my LDS won't hear of moving equip for others.

I think you are starting to see a pattern though in responses. I hope it all works out for you!

I ask this as a LDS. With so many people shoping at the on-line stores, how can one compete. We are an Aqualung Dealer as well as many other brands and we stock all of the new and current product offering. Having a well stocked and fairly price innventory doesn't appear to matter to the buying public. Having Master Techs on staff to service your regualtors doesn't matter.

What matters I ask? How can we EARN your business?

I do appreciate all answers and a constructive discussion.

Thanks

Speaking as someone with almost 20 years of retail experience, I'd offer the following advice.

• Be respectful to your customers. Always.
  • Listen to them when they come in to your store. Don't assume they're stupid just because they don't know exactly what they want.
  • Offer them the pros and cons of products they are looking at, but don't push them to choose one over another. Allow them to make an educated decision.
  • If you have a problem or complaint, offer them solutions. Tell them exactly what you can, or can't do to resolve it and let them make the choice from one of your solutions.
  • Be competitive. You don't have to have the lowest price. That doesn't mean you can't offer the greatest value. Letting them know they can have a loaner reg if they have to bring theirs in for repair means a lot. Having things in stock and a knowledgeable person to answer questions is a huge selling point. There are lots of extra's that you can offer to create a loyal customer without having to lose money competing with online stores.
  • Be honest. You might make some sales by stretching the truth, but it will always come back to bite you in the end.
  • Make friends. A person that likes you will find more reasons to do business with you than you will ever be able to provide on your own. Cultivating these people as divers will bring more long term rewards to you and your shop than churning out one vacation diver after another.
  • Be involved. Find out what your customers interests are and let them know when you have things that appeal to them. Organize trips, get togethers, or whatever. Sponsor a trip to Mexico. Invite people to share pictures or put on a slideshow at your shop. Let them give photo tips to other divers. Have a movie night once a month with refreshments. Get guest speakers or do a presentation. Divers who are excited about the sport stay in it, go on trips and spend money. Do your part to cultivate that excitement.

Colo, thanks for starting this thread. Excellent comments from everyone. I plan to share this with my entire staff. Please keep the constructive comments coming in. This is what all LDS owners and staff need to hear so that we can meet your expectations.

Treat me like I am inportant wether I spent $2000.00, $300.00 or $2.00.
There is a couple LDS's in my area that if you are not looking at or buying an iteam ovrt $100.00they basicly ignore you . This one is 5 miles from my house . The one I go to for most of my stuff and my air fills is 15 miles away. They treat me like an old friend. great me went I come in ask what they can do for me today. Answer ??'s and ask about were I had been diving and were I am going next And they don't push there gear down your throat. They will go on line and find what I am looking for and give me a competitive price .They go that extra step to help me out .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom