What Color Is Your Stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like my orange fins.

Attachments

• IMG_5401.PNG
    IMG_5401.PNG
    291 KB · Views: 35
I strictly avoid yellow for anything except my octo to make it easier to locate in an emergency.
If you're thinking about emergencies, I'd suggest also practicing finding your octo (or other equipment) with your eyes closed. The improved visibility is always good, but you can also improve your safety by being able to quickly and easily do the same thing without relying on vision at all.

More here.

If you're thinking about emergencies, I'd suggest also practicing finding your octo (or other equipment) with your eyes closed. The improved visibility is always good, but you can also improve your safety by being able to quickly and easily do the same thing without relying on vision at all.
Perhaps I need to clarify… My reason for avoiding yellow, except for the octo, is to make it easier for divers in distress to clearly see and grab my octo.

I agree finding one’s own octo by feel is necessary.

Perhaps I need to clarify… My reason for avoiding yellow, except for the octo, is to make it easier for divers in distress to clearly see and grab my octo.

I agree finding one’s own octo by feel is necessary.
Absolutely. Before a dive, I always tell any buddy to not ask, and just grab the regulator with the neon-hose, regardless of whether I'm breathing from it.

I mostly dive sidemount, but my left (primary) is usually on a necklace, while the right (secondary) is on a breakaway-clip and has a long-hose.

The mask I bought way back when I was starting was clear silicone with blue trim. As was the jacket style BCD that I bought to go with it..blue trim. That BSD didn't last me long and pretty much everything since has been black....although not because of any choice I made to want to look covert Ninja, or anything like that! At one point I bought a Sea Elite semi-dry suit that had a big Sea Elite oval logo right on the chest. I used flexible fabric paint to convert it to the Batman logo just for a flash of whimsy. I think I did the same to one my Halcyon wings too If I recall.... (I haven't dove in a long time so my memory is fuzzy).

If given the choice I'd probably go for some safety neon colors for hoods, gloves, fins, and booties at least, but it seems like that stuff in Navy Seal black or grey was easiest to find

I was thinking about replacing the hoses on my regulator when I get them serviced again (since they've been in storage for the better part of 20 years) and I like the idea of a neon color for my long hose!

I was thinking about replacing the hoses on my regulator when I get them serviced again (since they've been in storage for the better part of 20 years) and I like the idea of a neon color for my long hose!
I add color to my hoses with wire-protectors and zip-ties. You can do the entire length, or just the ends. I'm too lazy to pull out my main regulators, but I found a picture from one of my pony-bottles. I suppose it also adds a very tiny bit of extra hose protection. About 1/2 inch is the right size.

20221130_150215.jpg

I add color to my hoses with wire-protectors and zip-ties. You can do the entire length, or just the ends. I'm too lazy to pull out my main regulators, but I found a picture from one of my pony-bottles. I suppose it also adds a very tiny bit of extra hose protection. About 1/2 inch is the right size.

I’m a huge fan of colored hoses/color coding BO gas’s yes it is not the “cool” tech black that everything in social media makes it out to be but for me and my diver buddies its more about practicality. I know it may seem not necessary or silly but couple of my friends and I started doing it and we all color code the same to keep uniformity between us. Aside for MOD labels the color coding make for an easy double verification check for your self and for your buddy. Once you start carry 4-5 BO gasses plus have support divers coming in with additional BO gas and your hading off stages, taking stages with multiple dive buddies sometimes you can have 20+ tanks in the water. Some pure O2, some super super hypoxic and everything in between. Last thing you want is every tank to have the exact same regs, exact same, labels, exact same rigging, etc. yes a good diver would not mix tanks up because they are all labeled but why not make it a little easier. It has been proven in many other industries that color coding for safety purposed is an effective means of communication. Heck we do it every day in the driving world, traffic lights, road line colors, sign colors, car light colors, etc. etc. even in the construction industry some colors even have a dedicated “OSHA safety yellow” name now because its an industry standard.

Example below of my standard 4 tank config:
Orange for hypoxic
Yellow for intermediate trimix’s
Green for deco gases

1673103694422.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom