What course should I take next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Find an instructor who will tailor a nav class to you and your environment. The ones that are run by the book generally suck. Which is why I wrote my own that leaves the instructor lots of freedom and in fact requires them to do some work and augment the course with their own knowledge of the local conditions. It also allows and requires them to "up the ante' so to speak for those who think they have pretty good nav skills. Can do a square and triangle ok? Consistently? Cool. Here's a course with 5 course changes, leg three you need to use natural nav, leg five -uh oh- vis just went to hell so take the spool out and run the next leg with it and the compass. Oh and make sure you write down the heading you go out on and the distance in air pressure. You'll need that for your map that you'll turn in at the end of the class. Ya know, fun stuff like that.:D

I think that you should take a killer trip and put all your past training to the test....

Once you have the basics of navigation(square/triangle) the rest is easily self taught. I always recommend joining a local dive club to help ensure that you can get in the water(locally) as much as possible.....

I have been actively diving for 35 years, with the amount of training you have already completed I think the best thing is to get out and dive alot.........

If you really want to take a course, then take a Photography or Videography course if that interests you.... BUT make sure you take it from an accomplished photographer or videographer some of these may not get you another certification but so what....

Cheers,
Roger

Thank you all for the awesome and thoughtful responses!

Your last question made me smile, because I was about to recommend an underwater photography class! ...folks like Alex Mustard and Marty Snyderman...I think photography is one of those things you NEVER get perfect at, so the lure of "getting better" never goes away.

If you really want to take a course, then take a Photography or Videography course if that interests you.... BUT make sure you take it from an accomplished photographer or videographer some of these may not get you another certification but so what....

I have just signed up for an (above-water) continuing-education intermediate-level photography course at a local college. Afterwards I will look into underwater photography courses.

There is a book on underwater photography by Jill Heinerth. If there is anyone you want to be learning something from, it is her.

Her book is currently out-of-print and, while there are advertisements indicating that the book is available in eBook format, this appears to not be the case.

I agree completely. I found what you are looking for by wangling my way into training with PSD's. OMG, just OMG. Talk about skills and info that you just don't get on a rec level!

Oh yeah, first responders are also fun to hang with after class...

I looked into this. A PSD diver that I know indicated that their training is supplied through LGS -lifeguard systems. I looked into their curriculum and FAQs and decided that PSD diving is so very far-removed from the style of diving that I do that (for me) it is not worthwhile becoming familiar with or buying PSD dive gear as I will never be in a situation to use it. Thanks for the advice, though!

Cheers,

Crush

And I'll add one more course that you did not mention, that will extend your diving season. Drysuit. You live in Canada..very cold in the winter. Does it really extend you dive season...I can't say for sure but I can say that during the winter here we are the only ones showing up at dive sites. Vis is better during the winter.

And I'll add one more course that you did not mention, that will extend your diving season. Drysuit. You live in Canada..very cold in the winter. Does it really extend you dive season...I can't say for sure but I can say that during the winter here we are the only ones showing up at dive sites. Vis is better during the winter.

Hi, Thanks the the advice. I dive a drysuit but never took a drysuit course. I got a few pointers, practiced them, then kept practicing.

Cheers,

Crush

...//... A PSD diver that I know indicated that their training is supplied through LGS -lifeguard systems. ...//...

That is the agency that I train with!

:D

Going back to your OP (what to take next), ask your contact if you can be a "paying extra diver" the next time they run SAR/R-1 in your backyard. Rec gear is fine for "extras". If nothing else, you will begin to truly appreciate PSD divers. Totally different world.

PSD may not be what you think. Bring along a fav non-diver who wants to train to be a tender. See pic, I’m the “dope on the rope” (diver), I got paired with two lovely, highly motivated tenders-in-training that were directing the search, I couldn’t see s**t but we always found everything using line-tug communication. Those two turned out to be some of the best at searching!

-in black-water searches, the brains are on the beach!

IJS...

View attachment 134919

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom