What course should I take next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 on Nitrox, probably one of the most useful cards to have.

Your last question made me smile, because I was about to recommend an underwater photography class! And yes, you can take classes that will help you improve your photography without requiring you to get fancy equipment (although, if you don't have any kind of strobe, you're a bit limited). Ask around locally to find out who is doing really impressive photography, and whether they teach -- or, if you want to come down here to the Seattle area to do it, I can recommend a couple of people. There are also specifically dedicated vacation trips, run by folks like Alex Mustard and Marty Snyderman, which are focused on photography instruction.

Once your actual diving skills have reached a certain level, although you need to practice and stay on top of them, taking classes doesn't return much. You have to find another challenge, and I think photography is one of those things you NEVER get perfect at, so the lure of "getting better" never goes away.

I can find my way from point-to-point underwater using a compass for bearing but I can't gauge distance with pinpoint accuracy.

Ok, well it wasn't a random question, of course. One of the things that I personally found to be a big improvement in my diving early on, and something that I found to be a big confidence builder was to really focus on navigation. I learned to dive in BC so I have a pretty good idea of the conditions you're diving in. It's something that can be a real challenge in your local area and something that many new(ish) divers find difficult.

You obviously set the bar high for yourself and the impression that I get is that your raw diving skills are probably pretty sorted. In that case, anything you do right now in terms of courses etc should be focused on deeping out what you already know instead of learning new skills.

However, that said, what you don't need is a standard navigation specialty. Most instructors that I've ever seen give really crappy navigation specialities and standards in this area are focused too much on using a compass, which you can already do. What I would advise is to shop around for an instructor who is willing to give you a navigation specialty but who will set the bar high for you (you need this) and focus on providing you with a deeping out of the full skill set and sees to it that your skills are adequately "tested". Agency won't matter much here. It will be all about the instructor.

That may improve your sense of freedom and independence and could allow you to get a little more adventurous with your diving. Is that an idea?

R..

Thanks for all the suggestions.

OldNSalty - I am not really into overhauling my own gear now, but perhaps as others in my family do (possibly) pick up diving I would consider this.

Doppler - good advice on measuring fin kicks. I keep meaning to do this but never do. I also keep meaning to measure my SAC at a constant depth but don't.

Searcaigh - I have nitrox, thanks. Agreed - it is nice to have the option.

TSandM - thanks for the leads. I have bookmarked both photographers' web pages for future reference.

Diver0001 - I am not sure where I would find someone with a particular specialty in navigation nor is it obvious to me what I would learn (you don't know what you don't know) but I will keep this in mind. I see freedom and independence while diving as byproducts of training and not goals in themselves. Perhaps a solo-diver course would be of interest... I don't plan to make solo diving a lifestyle choice :) but it might be interesting to see what I learn.

Thanks all!

I think everyone can benefit and grow from a well taught navigation course, and you can get beyond single vector navigation. Other than that, I think areas of interest ( like underwater photo or video, or even dpv diving ) that a diver has should guide their selection of what, if any, continuing diver ed courses they take. Conditions also dictate when specialties are appropriate. If you are new to it, a dry suit class can be very useful ( though some people get certified in dry suits ). You have a good diving resume as far as training and experience goes. You best know what areas will be best for you.
DivemasterDennis

Just to be clear, I am not interested in card collecting. "I love to dive and I get a sense of enjoyment from 'diving well.'" I find that instruction in courses has (so far) been the best way to learn new skills while diving maintains those skills. Those skills help me to increase my enjoyment of diving.

I agree completely. I found what you are looking for by wangling my way into training with PSD's. OMG, just OMG. Talk about skills and info that you just don't get on a rec level!

Oh yeah, first responders are also fun to hang with after class...

I have done about the same courses you have done and have similar feelings about tech diving (possibly fun in San Diego or BC although not an obvious choice, much less appealing in Alberta; although, every time I visit SD or BC I start thinking about working on a GUE-F tech pass and deep BC sponges and gorgonians again). I've been happy to have others play with cameras and am not terribly tempted to try it myself. My choices: I bought a DPV last year, which has been great fun, both to use and to practice with. Basic use is easy but getting good with them takes a while. Downsides include cost, maintenance, more weight (thing is neutral, of course, but weighs 30-40 pounds on land), and needing buddies who have a similar DPV. Second choice: sneaking in some warm-water trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom