What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have to say there's not a single piece of dive gear I regret buying. I never bought anything without careful research, getting sound advice, and shopping for the best price. I never bought anything based on it looking cool or other silly emotional motive. When I discovered DIR, I carefully evaluated every aspect before adopting it, and by that point, my non-DIR gear was well used and owed me nothing.

I do regret once buying a car that someone had previously used in their business.

Does the very first scuba diving class count?

Since that fateful day, my wallet has been SIGNIFICANTLY smaller.

:wink:

A new regret- a wetsuit that has zippered cuffs and ankles. I should have known better, but now I know how poorly these seal up a wetsuit.

I've only taken it on a few dives, but I've looked down and noticed my ankle zippers have come undone while I'm swimming.

It's pretty sad to be newly certified and already have regrets.

Genesis Panview Purge- Worked fine in the pool, but the purge valve was almost painful under pressures greater than the 12 ft deep end. Also, couldn't clear the mask using the purge. Found it much easier to do it the old fashioned way.

Neoprene mask strap cover- Ended up getting a new mask with one already on it (kinda).

My big regret is not getting a traditional octopus...not only does my hand brush the purge button and waste air when I use the deflator on my integrated Air XS 2 but I have to take the regulator out of my mouth and give it to my dive buddy to share air and then switch to my secondary reg since the hose is so much shorter instead of just nodding and letting my dive buddy grab the secondary that would be hooked to my sternum strap. Extra hose? Fine, I'll deal with the extra "hassle" to not have to take my air source out of my mouth when my buddy needs air.

Actually, not only do I regret not getting a traditional octopus, but in retrospect, I would have bought a completely different set of gear...although it would have been more expensive, so the BCD setup may have been the same. I would have gotten a wrist computer, probably a VEO-250NX instead of console VEO-100NX, kept the Oceanic air gauge and for compass just gotten a wrist one so I'd have my dive computer on my left wrist and compass on my right wrist, and I'd have my air gauge clipped to my sternum strap as well so I can just glance down to look at my air consumption.

Would have bought the same fins, mask, booties, maybe a different wetsuit since the rolled neck on the Pinnacle suits are a pain in the ass, same hooded vest, same regulator....yep, think that's about all I'd change is get a traditional octopus and different setup for gauges and computer.

So yeah if you haven't bought your own gear yet and are in your OW class, listen to your instructor as I failed to do so, and rent some gear and try out different configs before you buy any expensive gear.

Although I'm leaving my console as is and getting a VEO-250NX wrist computer, so I guess I'll have redundancy at least since I'll be diving with two computers. *shrugs*

I would also NOT: Equip my BC with an Air2.

HEAR HEAR! I simply HATE those things. It's a major pain to dump air AND share air at the same time. They're a nice idea in theory, but not in practice.

I would also NOT: Equip my BC with an Air2. QUOTE]

HEAR HEAR! I simply HATE those things. It's a major pain to dump air AND share air at the same time. They're a nice idea in theory, but not in practice.

*hides his Air 2 when no one's looking* I agree! Man, what kind of idiot would use these err those stupid things...stupid integrated air... :D

Thought I hated the AirXS when I bought my gear because the deflator was practically impossible to use. Then I switched to using the shoulder dump instead of the deflator button. A little tug on the AirXS and air gone. If I need to, I just roll to my right so my left shoulder is the high point then I dump. Plus there's never a chance I'm going to hit the inflator when I want to deflate. I've found it very easy to fine tune my buoyancy with this technique. Little tug, little dump. Big tug, big dump.

As far using it for sharing air, once I initially get it in my mouth, it is uncomfortable until I release the velco binder that holds it to the chest strap. Once that's done it swivels out to the left and fits nicely in my mouth. When I need to deflate, I just reach up and grab close to the shoulder dump and pull. Works fine.

Would an octo be easier? Yep. But I've adapted to my gear and I'm comfortable with it.

Would I buy a ProPlus2 integrated computer again? The jury is still out on that question. We liked the big display for our aging eyes, but my wife and I have both experienced failures. Mine happened after the first dive on the computer, hers after about ten dives. Each computer was replaced immediately and we've had no problems with either and love the displays. Right now I'm debating buying mini-SPGs for both of us as a redundant backup.

Only really bad purchase I've had recently was 3 chili cheese dogs and deviled eggs for lunch today. I am regretting that my gear is just collecting dust instead of being used but that's my fault more than anything.

Back
Top Bottom