What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heartfelt thanks to everyone that posted on this thread....

Being new to this sport, I was starting to buy the hype from my LDS for having personal equipment, and was close to spending a small fortune there. (Not that I won't anyway!) But now it is clear that the best approach is to learn/rent first, and add as one grows into the sport.

Thanks again!

Has someone mentioned, an engagement ring and a wedding band??

Just kidding, Joann!!

Great thread! So incredibly helpful to newbies, for sure.

That being said, after my first couple of OW dives post certification, I decided to take the plunge and buy gear. My training was completed on MK2/R295, which wasn't bad, although the mouthpiece was a problem for me, since I have a smaller mouth. We also had wrist computers provided to us for obtaining profiles in our OW certification dives. I didn't like that and ended up with some bad bruises on my lower arm as a result.

I also completed training using mostly rented gear from the LDS, as their policy is to not have you purchase a bunch of until you are sure you can certify. We had one gal in our NAUI pool class that had passed all of the PADI class work, but couldn't get her mask to clear to save her life, so she went through the equivalent of 2 water classes with 3 private training sessions, so this policy is particularly helpful for folks like her.

I took my time in picking out the various items I was seeking, but wanted to ensure I made wise decisions relating to what I will be able to use long-term in my diving life. I had inherited some dive gear from my Aunt who recently passed, so I saved on booties, since hers fit like a charm. Her fins, OTOH, were rather old-school, solid construction graphite Sherwoods, which, while functional, were quite cumbersome and tiring to use. I bought new fins as a result and will keep those as backup. After talking with fewer LDS sales folks, and more of the patrons who had purchased gear and shared similar aspirations, I settled on a MK25/S555. I did get a console computer, which on my first couple of dives has not been problematic. And my "LadyHawke" BC does have the Air2, and I have practiced using it...not ideal or as comfortable as an Octopus, but better than having another hose dangling on my 5'1" frame, methinks, and my goal is to minimize the necessity of its use anyway. I opted for shears instead of a knife, and bought a pretty good mesh dive bag. My LDS is very fair in their pricing and provided me with some nice freebies, such as a Scubapro regulator bag, a retractor for my console, and a few other "gadgets" like closed rings for my digital camera and items to go into my SAD kit.

Went on a river dive post-purchase of this gear and felt like I was in HEAVEN compared to the rental gear!

Thanks again for the info here though...just reiterates that everyone has different takes on what works and what doesn't.

I bought a Sherwood Genesis BCD back in 2001. The integrated weight pockets were velcro and just didn't hold up with after the second trip with the BC (they may be better in newer versions). I replaced it with a Balance with the pockets with the plastic clips and have been a happy camper since.

I bought an Akona Evolution roller bag. At first, I thought this would be the uber-bag. However, I found the compartments just got in your way. The corners on the bag wore out quickly. The final stroke was on the third trip with this bag, one of the wheels came off. This was a very expensive regret. I am replacing this one with the new Akona <10lb bag bought with a stack of Visa gift cards I redeemed for full value at Amazon for amazon Gift codes and then used to buy the bag from one of the Amazon partners.

Has someone mentioned, an engagement ring and a wedding band??

Just kidding, Joann!!

I did, and I was not idding. OK, maybe just a bit, Jim

I admit that my purchase of used rental gear was not buying the best, but it solved a problem at the time. On a budget I was attempting to set up four family members all at once. Used rental gear from a reputable LDS got everyone into the water for that first year or two! I knew my LDS well and had trust in the advice and gear they helped choose from their stock, as they were doing their end of season upgrade. Eventually everyone in my family, who decided to continue diving a lot, "traded up" to their own gear, and that old rental was retired.

I just bought my wife her own BC/Regulator/Computer kit as we are about to take our first dive trip in three years (new house - new bills). She didn't like now having her own 'stuff' on our last trip. I hope I don't regret the purchase.

That Ikelite housing for my eRDP

a V705 Kodak Camera. Worked wonderfully when first bought it... Now it's a paperweight. Bought an extended warranty and was able to exchange it for another camera. Nice concept behind the camera... one super wide lense and one regular lense as opposed to attaching a lense for the wide shots. Absolutely no support from Kodak. I have bought 3 kodak cameras and all of them have been junk!!! I have had absolutely no problems out of my Canon and Olympus camera(except for the xD format cards which are dumb).

Back
Top Bottom