What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regret: Console computer.
Now have to wait and get a wrist computer.

Why? Why not take the computer out of the console and put it in a wrist mount? I bought my Atmos2 in a console, and I'll be moving it to a wrist mount (Thanks! ttertel!) on my next dive. If I decide I like the console better, back it goes...

But I think it will probably stay on my wrist. My console hose isn't long enough, if you know what I mean :-(

Things I am glad that I never bought:

All my dive gear (when I lived in a northern, non-oceanic state - in retrospect I would have either never, or barely, had used all that gear).

Once down here I was shown the BP/W way and am eternally happy for the change over to minimalist diving practices. (Hogarthian)

Things I did buy that I shouldn't have:

two used AL80 tanks (no comparison to steel HP100 and LP120's)

two weight pockets to put on my BP/W's beltline (am now using hard-weights and a belt like God intended)

Overall, though, I am pretty happy with what I have. I can go into most huge dive shops and never see anything I want, need or desire.

Now a boat store, on the other hand... I need a dive boat.

Now a boat store, on the other hand... I need a dive boat.

Check ebay. I saw a pretty dern sexy 90' longrange live-aboard yatch. Only problem I've seen is almost anything over 10' is out of my price range :wink:

Check ebay. I saw a pretty dern sexy 90' longrange live-aboard yatch. Only problem I've seen is almost anything over 10' is out of my price range :wink:

With fuel prices fluctuating, and the economy the way it is, a 90' dive boat seems a bit ostentatious.

I was thinking more along the lines of a 72'.

Either way, anything over 50' should do , even if it might be a bit cramped

Biggest regret, Dry suit , for what ever reason I seem to spend more time fixing than diving

Neoprene seals on my dry suit. Quickly shipped back for latex.

Gators on a dry suit. After a few dives you'll figure it out.

A big a$$ stainless steel knife that straps to your calf. So 80's. Wait that's when I certified.
It now sits on a shelf with 6 others that people either lost or threw way from getting talked into buying one. A pair of EMT shears and 3 inch titanium blunt is now my fav.

A second mask. Found plenty of others in the local waters.

Thin sole booties. Hurts when walking on rocky terrain.

A small save-a-dive kit in a small box. Get a BIG box because it will fill up.

A pair of gloves online that don't fit regardless of their sizing chart.

7mm mittens. No dexterity, to stiff and dry is so much nicer.

A Tekna 1" dia compass. To hard to read and keep on heading.

5mm non zipper booties.

Mask with a purge. Didn't buy one but have one I found. Should have thrown it back in the water but that would have been polluting.

Wetsuits for kids. In great shape but they have grown out of them. Now they want dry suits and dads will not cut it. I was so hoping for a new DUI for X-Mas.

Split fins for one of the kids. He has seen the light.

Gauntlet style 7mm gloves. These are the ones that come up from the fingertip to the arse. I do not need gloves to the elbow thank you very much. I replaced them with a much shorter pair and they are very nice.

Several years ago I bought a giant C8 light that ways about six or seven pounds. It's way too heavy and very akward. I only use it on night dives and even then it just doesn't feel right.

My next purchase is a powerful, compact light.

Hmm, about 2 months ago I bought a UK 1200 for about $35. It uses 8 D's, and I found out on my last dive that it was leaking. Should have saved my money and just gone straight for a canister light like I'm going to after christmas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom