What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, you have to travel with it before you learn this. Three years ago when I started diving I got gear crazy right up front. Moron. LADIES you will love this! The cheap bastard that I am, I got my wife this little wing BC. Real small. It was cheaper than mine. She can pack it in a carry-on, carry it with two fingers, and man she slips into the water like a needle and glides at depth like a barracuda. It was God's little joke on me. What a moron.

Hhaha! Serves you right! :D She's probably laughing the whoooole time, right? It's okay, happens to the best of us.

I purchased an Akona Gear bag (<10 lbs. Bag - AKB188). I have used it four times and each trip a zipper has broken. This is bag uses very cheap zippers that break whenever ANY pressure is applied. I have used this very gingerly and the bag now doesn't close properly. The zippers always break when I'm away so I have to jury rid something to hold the thing closed, and of course it looks like crap with the side pockets open, etc... I sent the compnay an e-mail asking for some help, they never responded... Do yourself a favor and stay away from this bag, and all the other products that the company Akona makes....

my poodle jacket (20ish yrs ago)
my Zeagle Ranger BC
my TLS 350
my CF200
all the goofy undergarments to try and stay warm in a shell suit
ankle weights
weight belts
50 billion leg knifes (half of which I only have the sheaths for now!)
my insane collection of cetacea clips
my night rider blackwater hid light
my sartek 18w hid
my sartek 10w hid

i could go on and on... but im stating to get depressed.. i need to stop before I start looking for a rope

Dont regret any purchase as its all part of the learning curve and was always able to re-sell most of it, eg If I never tried a jacket style BC I would always wonder about them.

My unbalanced second stage Sherwood regulator. Once I got past the, "Holy *****, I'm breathing underwater!" phase and grew increasingly comfortable in the water, I realized how truly hard it was to breathe with the sodding thing, especially at depths over 60 feet or so. The phrase, "Sucking a golf ball through a garden hose" comes to mind here. Don't get me wrong, it's a great 'workhorse' reg - there's a reason that dive resorts around the world offer Sherwoods as rental equipment - but it's not a regulator that keeps up with the diver's experience. It's destined for a use as a deco reg, so it's not going to go to waste...I just wish I'd gone for a reg with a balanced first and second stage from the get-go.

If I had to do it over, I also wouldn't have invested in a computer-compass-SPG console. I use a DSS-wrist mounted Suunto compass and computer now, with a brass-and-glass SPG.

Somebody help me, I am wondering about buying this off craigslist... is this a good deal? Im new to diving and still dont know which brands to stick with.

Scuba Gear
Dacor went out of business a few years ago and repair parts would be hard to find. I would pass on that deal.

I bought a Cressi Big Eye mask but if you have a big nose when you are at depth it will smash your nose and cause pain. Great viewing but need a small non italian nose like me :). Big noses make better lovers!!! Size does matter:wink: <>< <>< <><

Somebody help me, I am wondering about buying this off craigslist... is this a good deal? Im new to diving and still dont know which brands to stick with.

Scuba Gear
Maybe, maybe not. Here is the key that made me stop reading...

"Original owner... only used for a few fresh water dives... AL80 needs Hydro..." Since tanks need Hydro every 5 years, I assume the gear has been sitting around for 5 years. Who knows where and in what condition it is in at this point and time.

if you have $450 that you can toss away, it might be worth checking out. If not... walk away :wink:

Added edit:

Since you are asking the question, I am assuming you are not qualified to check the gear yourself. You will WANT/NEED a qualified shop to go through the gear and check everything. This could easily add up to another $450 depending on where you live and who you know.

My double HP 149's ... Who knew the hernia was free?

Fins. I never should have bought fins! It's so much easier to hop/walk on the bottom... and, I can always use my BC or my SMB to get me to the surface. Once I'm there I just pop out my handy-dandy flexi-snorkel and life is good!

Oh, did I forget to mention a mask... never should have bought it since I wear contacts. I just changed my perscription to accomodate my underwater viewing, they pop in before the dive, and pop-out during SI... easiest thing I ever did! If I didn't need something for my snorkel to mount to, I wouldn't need a mask at all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom