What dive light do you use in So Cal waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't do a lot of night diving but the few that I do, I prefer to use the Intova 4.7-Watts lights. I'm not a photographer or a wreck/cave diver, so cannister lights are overkills for me. This Intova puts out around 120-130lumens and it's plenty bright for me. I use two Intovas, one has a focused lense and one has a wide beam. They're small and built out of machined aluminum. Very tough but not too heavy yet small enough to tuck into the waist belt of my BC.

Shown in this link is the focused beam silver bodied Intova. The wide beam Intova is black.
Diving Back-Up Lights - Dive Gear Express

Another vote for the Salvo 21W HID. I love mine. But, it's an expensive light and some folks don't have the inclination to deal with the canister.

The next one on the list is the OxyCheq Raider I. It's a 3w LED that's almost as bright as a 10w,add the sock and it's really easy to use. I like mine a lot.

I do have a UK Light Cannon 100 HID that I use as a loaner that also has served me well. Many folks I know have these and they really like them a lot. It is a light I consistently see on boats and one that I have seen modified for lobstering & photography. This light is hard to beat (unless you spend hundreds more). It consistently gets high rating from buyers and dive magazines.

If you're just starting out on night diving, I'd suggest waiting to see what other lights are out there by diving with different people before you make an exspensive purchase.

Fortunately, you can get a good solid light for night dives for under $100.00 (like the OxyCheq mentioned above). With the sock it's $101.00. The Intovas I've seen (as mentioned above) are solid too.

After you do a couple of night dives with different folks, you'll have a better feel for what you personally want. Of course, canister lights cause "light envy" and that can't be helped... but, they're not for everyone.

Happy Hunting

Another vote for the Salvo 21W HID. I love mine. But, it's an expensive light and some folks don't have the inclination to deal with the canister.

The next one on the list is the OxyCheq Raider I. It's a 3w LED that's almost as bright as a 10w,add the sock and it's really easy to use. I like mine a lot.

I do have a UK Light Cannon 100 HID that I use as a loaner that also has served me well. Many folks I know have these and they really like them a lot. It is a light I consistently see on boats and one that I have seen modified for lobstering & photography. This light is hard to beat (unless you spend hundreds more). It consistently gets high rating from buyers and dive magazines.

If you're just starting out on night diving, I'd suggest waiting to see what other lights are out there by diving with different people before you make an exspensive purchase.

Fortunately, you can get a good solid light for night dives for under $100.00 (like the OxyCheq mentioned above). With the sock it's $101.00. The Intovas I've seen (as mentioned above) are solid too.

After you do a couple of night dives with different folks, you'll have a better feel for what you personally want. Of course, canister lights cause "light envy" and that can't be helped... but, they're not for everyone.

Happy Hunting
This goes double for me.

You got the same gear as I do!

But I do have a second Raider.

I used to use the Light Cannons. They were nice and bright, but unreliable. Now I'm using the LED C8 light and like it much better. And I use rechargeable batteries, too.

I'm using a UK eLed. Batteries last forever, its not expensive thus I can beat it up without too much issue. Lobster diving (in season) and its been fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom