What do I have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnnyC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So, an "acquaintance,:" let's call him, owed me $25 bucks for a welding job I did. He paid in a couple of old scuba regs. I don't know exactly what I've got, and what it's worth. I WILL be using one of the second stages for the octo on my Kraken, replacing a random Hog second I had floating around. The first stages and the other second will be for sale. I'm gonna save the Micro just because it's cool, even though I doubt I will ever use it for anything.

Anyway, as much as I know is that one first stage is marked Aqua Lung on the yoke handle, the other is market US Divers on the yoke handle. The second stages are marked Aqua Lung on the purge button, discolored mouthpiece, and Aqua Lung on the purge with Conshelf V! on the faceplate, with the gag strap looking thing. The Micra is just marked US Divers Micra, and it's gaudy af.

What do I have (beyond the obvious), which should I keep, and anyone want to make an offer on the rest of it? I will literally never use any of it except the one second stage just so I've got something "matching" on my Kraken

LaMYCR2.jpg

They are both Conshelf.

The one on the far right is a very early one, probably a Conshelf VI. The balancing chamber in the first stage probably doesn't have a back-up ring.

In the middle you probably have a Conshelf XIV. Does it have one 3/8" HP port and 3 LP ports? The LP port location arrangement is not ideal for the typical modern configuration.

On the far left is the Micra... or something like that.

They are both Conshelf.

The one on the far right is a very early one, probably a Conshelf VI. The balancing chamber in the first stage probably doesn't have a back-up ring.

In the middle you probably have a Conshelf XIV. Does it have one 3/8" HP port and 3 LP ports? The LP port location arrangement is not ideal for the typical modern configuration.

On the far left is the Micra... or something like that.

Yes to the question about the middle one. One HP and three LP ports. The one on the right only has 2 ports on it total. The second stage that came with it is the unmarked one in front of it. I don't know if it's an "early metal," a XIV, or what? I agree that the hose routing sucks.

The far right second stage is most definitely a Conshelf VI, and it came with the first stage on the far right so that would make sense.

I'll service one of the second stages. Any opinion on which would match best with a Kraken?

The one in the center has a bigger exhaust valve. It is obviously the newer second stage, probably from the 70's (or early 80's). I would use that one.

The Conshelf VI has one HP and one LP port.

That strap on the Conshelf VI second stage is basically the same as the modern bunggie (that some divers use) to hold the regulator around your neck.

Those are very easy regulators to service and they are extremely reliable.

The one in the center has a bigger exhaust valve. It is obviously the newer second stage, probably from the 70's (or early 80's). I would use that one.

The Conshelf VI has one HP and one LP port.

That strap on the Conshelf VI second stage is basically the same as the modern bunggie (that some divers use) to hold the regulator around your neck.

Those are very easy regulators to service and they are extremely reliable.

I have two of those second stages (from the looks of them, one of each) and no matter what I do they will barely begin to flow when slowly submerged, mouthpiece pointing up. I'm thinking the spring is too strong. What do you think? I've heard of springs getting weaker, but never stronger. They both have new valve seats and O-rings and the diaphragms are very supple and are adjusted just to maximum sensitivity. I think the one I have that looks like the one on the left came with a Calypso J. Maybe not. One of them did. Oh, and yes, I tried them on a different first stage with an IP of about 135. Better, but still a little hard to breathe from.

You can try an IP of 140 or 145... There is nothing magical about any IP number.
With a non-balanced second stage it was common to just increase the IP until it started leaking and then just back it up about 5 or 10 psi.

What is the serial number on the VI? Looking for a '69.

What is the serial number on the VI? Looking for a '69.

Only number on the thing is on the yoke. Reads 12283, or maybe 89. What does that mean? Made in 83 or 89? I thought they were well past the VI by then.

Only number on the thing is on the yoke. Reads 12283, or maybe 89. What does that mean? Made in 83 or 89? I thought they were well past the VI by then.
Agreed. The VI should have only run into 1969. Not sure what years before '69. I believe that they went to the XI in 1970. But I am also speaking a bit past any knowledge I actually have. I read that somewhere and now I can't find it in my notes.

Agreed. The VI should have only run into 1969. Not sure what years before '69. I believe that they went to the XI in 1970. But I am also speaking a bit past any knowledge I actually have. I read that somewhere and now I can't find it in my notes.

Do you have a list of serial numbers and their year of manufacture? I don't know what information can be gleaned from that number, so I couldn't give you any more information.

Back
Top Bottom