What do Open water divers struggle with the most?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My personal dilemma was mental! I, no way, no how, could wrap my brain around the PADI theory to breath deep and slow!! So tell me,, how are you supposed to remain stationary in the water column doing that crap!! I'm no genius, but, I do understand the physics of air chambers submerged in water and what happens when you change the volume.

Mask clearing seems to be the hardest for a few. I've had instructors refer peeps with mask issues to me. I teach this skill in waist-deep water with no tanks or snorkels involved. They put their face in the water, fill their mask and wear it full while standing in the shallows. The trick is learning how to isolate the nasal passages from your mouth. With only the mask on and full of water, they can concentrate on the one skill. We keep at it until we can have a simple conversation. Then we move on to how to clear.

It's sad to see "trim and buoyancy" being mentioned so often as it's so, so simple. It's the second skill I introduce after mask clearing. We cover the simple physics involved before we get in the pool and usually after a half hour or so, they "get it" and then we start with the more traditional skills which are done while trim and neutral. If you're an instructor and don't know how to do either of these, come on down to Cave Country and let's go dive. It will make things easier for you and your student.

My personal one was buoyancy - I was trying to do a neutral hover in the pool and despite multiple tries, could not get it embedded. The more tries I had the worse it was getting (I was getting frustrated and therefore breathing harder).

Simple answer was to take a break out of the pool for lunch and lo and behold I managed it perfectly. Just needed a chance to clear my head.

The one thing I have seen people have the most problem with is mask removal. There seems to be some mental component about not having your mask on. Usually once they accomplish it once there is no problem afterwards but that first time seems to be a hurdle for some.

My personal dilemma was mental! I, no way, no how, could wrap my brain around the PADI theory to breath deep and slow!! So tell me,, how are you supposed to remain stationary in the water column doing that crap!! I'm no genius, but, I do understand the physics of air chambers submerged in water and what happens when you change the volume.

You're exactly right.

I think the PADI method of Deep n Slow is to ensure that new divers actually keep breathing instead of holding their breath. Later on, as the diver becomes more comfortable, they'll learn to breath from the middle capacity, lower capacity, and upper(higher) capacity of their lungs in coordination with their buoyancy. That does not mean skip-breathing or breath-holds, steady in and out, but with more control. I want to say it comes with experience, but I'm not sure that's correct...so I'll go with 'good explanation and comfort'.

For me, the most difficult and frustrating thing was always the cross-legged, neutral buoyancy/hovering maneuver. I would repeatedly explain to them, that the tank's weight would cause them to tilt backwards a little, but that they weren't going to flip over or start doing back spins or anything, that all they had to do was relax and hold on to their fins, and expect to be to be tilted back a little. But almost without fail, as they tilted back, they'd spaz and let go of their fins, start flailing around trying to re-orient themselves vertically again, only to fail.....lather, rinse, repeat. I would even demonstrate myself, exaggerating the backward tilt to show how it would all balance out, while emphasizing holding onto the fins, then when they tried it, they'd invariably let go of the fins, and start flailing around trying to get back into an upright, seated position, that was never going to happen.
I'm getting annoyed just sitting here talking about it, LOL!! :D

For me, the most difficult and frustrating thing was always the cross-legged, neutral buoyancy/hovering maneuver. I would repeatedly explain to them, that the tank's weight would cause them to tilt backwards a little, but that they weren't going to flip over or start doing back spins or anything, that all they had to do was relax and hold on to their fins, and expect to be to be tilted back a little. But almost without fail, as they tilted back, they'd spaz and let go of their fins, start flailing around trying to re-orient themselves vertically again, only to fail.....lather, rinse, repeat. I would even demonstrate myself, exaggerating the backward tilt to show how it would all balance out, while emphasizing holding onto the fins, then when they tried it, they'd invariably let go of the fins, and start flailing around trying to get back into an upright, seated position, that was never going to happen.
I'm getting annoyed just sitting here talking about it, LOL!! :D
Do you have a pic ? I want to try this :)

For me, the most difficult and frustrating thing was always the cross-legged, neutral buoyancy/hovering maneuver.
I have to admit at cringing when I read this. I see that as more of a parlor trick and not useful at all in OW. Get them trim, ie flat, and watch them learn buoyancy in no time at all. To graduate from the pool, my students have to descend to the bottom and then ascend in good trim three times without using their inflator after the initial descent. On the third descent, they swim over to a line of two pound weights on the bottom of the pool. They must pick up a two pound weight and breath themselves neutral (no inflator!). They keep picking up additional 2 pound weights until they reach their limit. Women have to be able to deal with at least 4 pounds (most can do 6 or 8) and men have to deal with at least 6 pounds (most can handle 8 or 10). Then they reverse the process and have to adjust their breathing to accommodate less and less weight. Students never ever kneel, sit or stand on the bottom in my class. No, not even during this exercise.

FWIW, after getting trimmed out, the single biggest factor that ruins getting neutral is fly swatting, aka hand sculling. Stop it. Fold your hands together or grab the straps on your BC. Use your breath to adjust your position in the water column.

I have to admit at cringing when I read this. I see that as more of a parlor trick and not useful at all in OW.
yeah, I honestly thought there were a few things in the PADI OW cert requirements that were kinda dopey or un-necessary. But, I did this maneuver in my OW cert, as well as in our IDC, and used it ever since. I had them do the horizontal, fin-pivot buoyancy exercise as well, which never gave anyone near the problems this hovering thing did.

FWIW, after getting trimmed out, the single biggest factor that ruins getting neutral is fly swatting, aka hand sculling. Stop it. Fold your hands together or grab the straps on your BC. Use your breath to adjust your position in the water column.
Yeah, that's what I was referring to. I often had fits trying to prevent it, didn't matter if i asked them to clasp their hands together, or hold their fins or BC straps, or whatever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom