What do you do with your keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some years ago I worked with the San Diego PD on the issue of break-ins. In one memorable incident thieves hit a car and used the information/keys inside to hit the victim's residence and place of business.

Yeah, this always makes me nervous- since I keep my registration and insurance in my car. (And often my drivers license- if it isn't in the car, I'm apt to forget it entirely, and have been pulled over without it.) Add a garage door opener, and it is definitely a recipe for trouble.

I use the smallest Otterbox. My valet key does have electronics. Also, rented truck key on Bonaire is electronic.

Having lost (and found) my electronic car key twice while diving (and, of course, having to use it mechanically since then), I feel pretty fortunate that I currently drive a golf cart with one of those old fashioned non-electronic keys that I can stash in my swim trunks. Can you get a duplicate non-electronic key made for the car?

Turns out some of those golf cart keys start more than one golf cart. Of course, where are you going to go on Catalina with a stolen golf cart?

I just zip tie my key to my harness, I've never had any problems with corrosion or electronics messing up.

Keys with transponder chips in them are sealed.
No real electronics to worry about.

It's the keys with the buttons on them, that can't be submerged.

Keys with transponder chips in them are sealed.
No real electronics to worry about.

It's the keys with the buttons on them, that can't be submerged.

And even more accurately the actual transponder is encased in glass which is encased in the rubber head. I'd still put a chip key in the car under the mat or something and take your metal head key with you. I personally will use the hitch safe if I have my truck or I'll use a hidden velcro key hider.

I do that too in my F150, but was reluctant to post it since getting a different vehicle didn't seem to help the OP too much.

On another note, corvettejoe drives a ford? that's a little funny :)

Not as funny as trying to dive out of a Corvette LOL
I did dive in the Corvette a couple times, but no way I could have fit all the gear once I went cave, and you couldn't haul 2 people's worth of gear in one either.

I found some sucker...er...I mean... lucky person to trade straight up for an SUV when diving took over my entire life. I needed a dive vehicle and was tired of working on sports cars... I got bit BAD by the scuba bug!

Now... with the Ford keypads in mind...when I upgraded from my old Explorer to a newer model, one of my absolute must-have options was that keypad for diving.
I let my buddies store their keys in it too or other gear, then just give them the code in case I don't make it back up LOL

There are aftermarket keypads that can be added to most vehicles

Please elaborate! Obviously I know the OEM ones but what brands etc can you just add on like that? Curious...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom